Author Topic: The Muppet Show  (Read 977 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
The Muppet Show
« on: February 26, 2021, 09:48:22 PM »
What are your favorite episodes? Which one did you watch last and what did you think of it? What Muppet are you? Anything Muppet Show-related goes here.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: The Muppet Show
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 10:08:12 PM »
Gonna post brief reviews here too.

S1E1: Juliet Prowse

Starts off with "Mahna Mahna" and doesn't let up from there. I didn't know who Juliet Prowse was before this but she's both an amazing dancer and quite charismatic otherwise in her interview segment with Kermit. The cool horse-things they have dance with her are something special too. Finally, you gotta love Rolf singing "You and I and George." Rolf is my fave Muppet and I'm happy to see him do his thing here. Also love the milk drinking gag Kermit does and calls attention to.

Strong Recommend

S1E1: Connie Stevens

Another strong start with a song about a tattooed woman sung by Kermit that gets by on a good costume and some great rhymes. I don't like much of the Connie Stevens stuff, she just doesn't quite entertain in any of her sections. But there's another amazing musical number based on brief sax spurts and the Mahna Mahna guy hitting a bell that devolves into some great slapstick. And the running storyline with Fozzie thinking nobody likes him based on a misunderstanding is fun enough. Bert and Ernie show up late to do some fun physical gags before Connie Stevens gets involved again and things somehow become less entertaining again.

Recommend
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 10:41:00 PM »
I didn't know who Juliet Prowse was before this

I read this and thought, "I know who Juliet Prowse is!" and then I looked at her filmography and hadn't seen anything, so I think I probably knew who she was from The Muppet Show.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 11:18:17 PM »
I'm probably a Statler.

I watched the DVDs a while back which was only the first three seasons. Eager to watch them all again and see the final two seasons.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 11:19:57 PM »
We just finished Season 1 and it's amazing how quickly the show got up to speed. You would think a new show would take a while to get big guest stars, but by Joel Grey (Ep.3) I was familiar with many of the celebrities and their award winning work. My favorite guests were Rita Moreno, Paul Williams, Bruce Forsyth (who I'm completely unfamiliar with), Candice Bergan and Vincent Price. My least favorite is Mummenschanz, whose style doesn't mesh with the Muppets at all.

If I had to pick a moment where things finally came together like magic it would be a sketch in Ep. 10 (Harvey Korman) where Fozzie tries to get Kermit to help him with a joke. Fozzie's part in the show is uneven until then - the sad clown - but after that his role as Kermit's sidekick and best friend is firmly in place. Gonzo still isn't quite there and Piggy's aggression is more uncomfortable today, but Rowlf remains my favorite and I love his musical interludes, sometimes funny and sometimes played straight.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 11:25:06 PM »
And again A Feat of Lunatic Daring is a great companion podcast.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 11:44:17 PM »
Gonna post brief reviews here too.

S1E1: Connie Stevens

Another strong start with a song about a tattooed woman sung by Kermit that gets by on a good costume and some great rhymes.

Sidenote: Lydia the Tattooed Lady is on the original Muppet Show album. One of my favourite albums

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 04:56:46 PM »
S1E1: Juliet Prowse

Once we get past the intro, we get the lovely manamana song that is iconic. I'm pretty sure it began as a Sesame Street gag but I think most people know it from here. Juliet Prowse's dance number is nice enough but I didn't adore it. The weird puppets did make me laugh when I first saw them and then they just kinda felt out of place. I did like the joke about Kermit being the Robert Redford of frogs. The payoff is perfect. I love how nothing ever overstays its welcome. Just as soon as a gag might get old, it's onto the next act. Truly a great adaptation of the vaudeville experience.

S1E2: Connie Stevens

Two bits really stood out in this one: the Gonzo Teddy Bear/Fozzie Bear miscommunication and the Lydia the Tattooed Lady. Connie Stevens is a great guest, too. Her '50s number was fantastic and this time I liked the guys in suits a little more as the gag felt like it played a lot better. It's also funny to see Kermit get flirty with the lady guests without it coming off as creepy. Also, the Statler and Waldorf commentary from the balcony continue to be my favorite bits of this show:

W: "I'd like to get close to Connie Stevens but I'm close to something else."
S: "What?"
W: "Ninety!"

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 08:52:13 PM »
I'm going to do some Muppet Show watching this summer. I love the Muppets, was really into the 2011 film (haven't seen the 2014 for some inexplicable reason), and just need to get on this. What better time than during all those 110+ degree days?

One thing I am wondering about is something I saw on Wikipedia:

A content advisory was attached to several episodes describing the possibility of outdated cultural depictions.

I know that there are a lot of things that have such warnings attached now, and usually for good reason. It won't ruin the show, but I am wondering of what nature these outdated cultural depictions are. Is it involving race? Sex? Just curious. Still going to watch.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 08:57:34 PM »
Most of the time it involves Arab stereotypes. Strangely, I've seen several episodes where American/British comedians speak mock Chinese and those eps have no warning. There's a lot of outdated sexual attitudes and those air with no warning.

I know the Johnny Cash episode was labeled for featuring a Confederate flag.

love