Author Topic: Filmspots 2020: Official Nominations  (Read 7927 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: FYC 2020 - General
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2021, 11:33:14 AM »
What thread is the best for discussing the nominees? (Please feel free to move this post.)

It took me three times to finally get through I'm Thinking of Ending Things. I lost the ability to find any useful meaning in it and that lost my ability to care. It came across as a bad faith film, intentionally opaque to the point of F*** You to the audience. Those kind of films make me want to upend a card table.

For not talking enough about the wrongs of Amazon, Nomadland has garnered a lot of talk about the wrongs of Amazon. I imagine that is precisely what its intent was. I couldn't find the post, or the person who said it, but I agree that the film as a whole is a statement about being marginalized when it comes to employment. Choosing to not overtly decry Amazon, makes me think of the Hayes Code. Amazon made very strict rules about being filmed and the movie makers complied and then went on to broadcast the problem in every scene. The subtext is strong with this one.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Filmspots 2020: Official Nominations
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2021, 11:58:07 AM »
What thread is the best for discussing the nominees? (Please feel free to move this post.)

I thought this thread made the most sense (though we should really probably have a Filmspot Catch-up Marathon thread every year).

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2021, 05:11:01 PM »
Thanks, pixote. I'll continue to post here then, unless a new thread gets created.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: FYC 2020 - General
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2021, 05:55:08 PM »
It took me three times to finally get through I'm Thinking of Ending Things. I lost the ability to find any useful meaning in it and that lost my ability to care. It came across as a bad faith film, intentionally opaque to the point of F*** You to the audience. Those kind of films make me want to upend a card table.
Sounds like a Kaufman movie. I'm so dreading watching it but I feel I should watch all the best picture noms to be an informed voter.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2021, 06:15:54 PM »
Just saw that in addition to being a $5 rental, Heimat is a 220 minute film. That’s a hard nope.

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2021, 08:54:52 PM »
Well, if that's not enough minutes per $$, you can watch DAU. Degeneration where you get 360 for 3.  :)

EDIT: Oops, I forgot, because pixote asked about it here, that didn't get a Filmspots nomination.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 08:57:17 PM by goodguy »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2021, 05:08:28 AM »
Heh, in this case I’m looking less for value for money and more considering the time a cost alongside the rental fee. The main issue is the film description makes it sound like something I’d hate, and that’s a harder gamble at 4 hours than at 90 minutes.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2021, 10:54:43 AM »
Out

It was fine, I guess. The ole body swap to make your hear something you need to know from someone you love who can't say it to your face trick feels a bit lazy here. And the framing device is a bit much...I mean they come down on a literal rainbow? Talk about on the nose.

I did dig the animation style but other than that I felt like this was a pretty unremarkable short that wouldn't be in contention at all in any other year. I mean I didn't even like Children of the Sea that much but it deserves to be on here way more than this film.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2021, 02:30:17 PM »
Watched the first half of Onward and it feels like something Disney Studios would have come up with in the '00s, a flashy high concept with poorly realized characters and sloppy emotional beats. I'll see it out to the end for filmspot purposes but I had to take a break because I was losing focus. I'll have another animated film to see after this one to have watched them all but this feels like a pretty lackluster year for the category even thought I think both Wolfwalkers or Soul would be a top tier contender for any year in recent filmspot history.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2021, 10:59:14 AM »
I'm in agreement with you on Out. Also, it's 2021, I'm gonna need a film about a struggle to come out to do a little work on explaining why this might be difficult. Happiest Season, for its flaws, does that. This film doesn't really.

Bloody Nose, Empty Pockets

I was really digging this for about 2/3 of its runtime, watching this eccentric group of presumptive alcoholics observing the death of their beloved dive bar in Las Vegas. It had me nostalgic for being able to occupy shared spaces like this. There isn't something that happened really that threw me out of it, I just had had my fill of what it had to offer before it concluded.