Author Topic: Top 5 Movies Destined to Fail  (Read 565 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Top 5 Movies Destined to Fail
« on: July 08, 2021, 03:28:40 AM »
"Fail" as in artistic failures, not necessarily box office failures.

I know we could pick just about any sequel; so be boring if you want. I was thinking about impossible adaptations when I thought of this. Was thinking about On the Road, how they should've never even tried, and then about One Hundred Years of Solitude and how glad I am that Netflix has so far not put anything out. I made this list for my #1, and had to dig around the internet a bit to help me brainstorm 2-5. Definitely found some good ones. However, most of my picks are recent, and it'd be interesting to get a historical perspective about writers, directors, and studios who bit off more than they could chew.

1. On the Road (Walter Salles, 2012) / One of the great novels that is about the rhythm of language in a way that cannot be translated to screen.
2. The Emoji Movie (Anthony Leondis, 2017) / It's a move about inanimate happy/sad/angry/puke faces. There is no story there. Never seen it, don't need to.
3. Mac and Me (Stewart Rafill, 1988) / I actually loved this as a kid. As an adult, it's obvious it's just a blatant E.T. ripoff and vehicle for product placement. Why'd my parents let me watch this?
4. The Lovely Bones (Peter Jackson, 2009) / Destined to fail because the source material itself is terrible; and then, in retrospect, Peter Jackson, maybe not such a sure bet post-LOTR.
5. The Giver (Phillip Noyce, 2014) / Just impossible to please all audiences that have a stake in this, but they really should've picked one and gone with it.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

love