love

Author Topic: 2020 Tokyo Olympics  (Read 1180 times)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
2020 Tokyo Olympics
« on: July 25, 2021, 07:04:00 PM »
Is anyone watching?

Iím a huge olympics fan (itís on my bucket list of sporting events) and Iím looking forward to watching a lot of coverage.

Watching Biles dominate floor exercises in spite of her completely stepping out of bounds.
Hey, nice marmot!

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 2020 Tokyo Olympics
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 08:17:52 PM »
The time zone makes this one a drag but thatís the nature of it. Iíve poked into this and that.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 08:32:21 PM »
The time zone makes this one a drag but thatís the nature of it. Iíve poked into this and that.

Yes - the time zone difference takes all the suspense away but I still enjoy the competition and personal triumphs.
Biles had an off day and is still in first place.
Hey, nice marmot!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 09:02:58 PM »
I've had it on in the background, mostly swimming.

I did get the great opportunity to go to a couple of London 2012 events. Saw gymnastics and judo. I almost splurged for the Table Tennis finals for about 400 bucks. I wish I had done it but it was hard to justify as a grad student at the time.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 09:28:24 PM »
I've had it on in the background, mostly swimming.

I did get the great opportunity to go to a couple of London 2012 events. Saw gymnastics and judo. I almost splurged for the Table Tennis finals for about 400 bucks. I wish I had done it but it was hard to justify as a grad student at the time.

LA 2024 - Iíd like to get there.
Hey, nice marmot!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 06:01:53 AM »
I find the broadcast of the Olympics a hell of a lot better in Germany than what it was in Canada. In Canada you could be forgiven for imagining there's only like 7 or 8 sports happening at the olympics. Zero combat sports, no table tennis, sailing.... basically just stuff that takes place in a pool, on a track or in the gymastics category. Here I find the variety of coverage superior. But you're still at the mercy of what they decide to show. If I really want to watch a specific event live, it's not at all cleam with whom or when I might be able to see it. The programming just shows "Olympics". And even when you think you're watching something, they'll just cut away to something else.

I hate having to try and follow events via streams, since they don't usually give you the entire broadcast with all of the build up and commentary etc. Instead you just get clips of the each trial or run or match. That is, if you aren't region blocked, or needing some subscription to watch it.

Basically I just find the whole thing a clusterCINECAST!.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 11:03:23 AM »
I love the Olympics as well Martin! I'll basically watch whatever is being broadcast. So far I've caught parts of in Indoor/Beach Volleyball, Gymnastics, Archery, Water Polo, Swimming, Softball, Fencing, Table Tennis, 3x3 basketball, Badminton. Looking forward to all of it.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 06:49:02 PM »
I gotta say that Simone Biles stepping aside for her own mental health is a CINECAST!ing boss move.
Itís the GOATIEST GOAT move the GOAT could make.
It says a lot about todayís society when self care decisions are ground breaking and inspirational.
Hey, nice marmot!

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 08:06:22 PM »
Been actively avoiding the Olympics because, as normal, these are sports I don't follow any other year, not sure what makes it different every four years, but this situation has, despite my best efforts, made the games unavoidable all day.

Athletes ought to have better treatment options in regards to mental health, everyone should, really, but if we are looking at their health as physical and mental, then their legacy should be viewed in the same terms. It's definitely her right and choice to feel that the stress is too much for her to compete this year and on this stage, but it definitely impacts her legacy even though it's not a physical injury and should be looked at the same way. One wouldn't put guys like Derrick Rose or Penny Hardaway among the greats because their careers were impacted by injuries. Is Biles, despite this, still the best to ever do it? Maybe, I don't know much about the sport in general, but to begin competing and then stop after an error due to the mental stress of the situation is something that contributes to her legacy in the sport.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 12:38:21 AM »
I gotta say that Simone Biles stepping aside for her own mental health is a CINECAST!ing boss move.
Itís the GOATIEST GOAT move the GOAT could make.
It says a lot about todayís society when self care decisions are ground breaking and inspirational.

It's another situation that makes me wonder who is in charge when girls are put in such high-leverage situations from such young ages. Not talking about Biles now, but surely she must have been quite a young girl when she started. I think women's gymnastics is generally a highlight of the Olympics, but it also feels really exploitative to me. There are lessons to be learned, positive and negative, from a sporting event where people damn near kill themselves (or turn to doping) just to get to the top.

That Biles has mental health issues is not surprising at all, and I agree that it's a boss move. The mental health community need people to come out like this and admit their problems publicly to stop the stigma. In this situation, the idea of letting her team down is difficult, since I think probably the whole of the sporting world let her down by inculcating her in its zero sum values, where winning is the only thing, and training obscene hours and not being able to live and develop from child to adult normally is stripped from her. Maybe other athletes would say I'm dead wrong here, but I'm taking this from a mental-health-first approach.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

love