Author Topic: Top 5 Handshake Films (aka. 5 Films Because...)  (Read 2341 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Top 5 Handshake Films (aka. 5 Films Because...)
« on: September 03, 2021, 09:49:20 AM »
Let's get back to some basics and reintroduce ourselves.
This idea is not about trying to come up with a Top 5, but a list of 5 films you want to shine a light on. This is the ultimate version of that. The premise is to list 5 films that are not only among your favorites, but when you find someone else who shares your love, it's so uncommon that you instantly want to be friends with that person.

Here are mine...
1. Streets of Fire
2. Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
3. The World According to Garp
4. The Beguiled (1971)
5. The American Scream

HM: McLintock

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Top 5 Handshake Films (aka. 5 Films Because...)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 10:09:24 AM »
I’ve seen 2 and 3, possibly 1 but then it was the 80’s, who can remember.

I haven’t watched either version of the Beguiled but have access to both… so I will take it up in the next week
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 10:34:13 AM »
Fun! I want to be your handshake friend! Perfume: The Store of a Murder intrigues me. Could it count for Shocktober? :)

Most of my favorite films are pretty well known, so it wouldn't be uncommon to find others who know them. Liking them is a whole other thing!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 11:50:04 AM »
Fun! I want to be your handshake friend! Perfume: The Store of a Murder intrigues me. Could it count for Shocktober? :)
It most definitely would.

Most of my favorite films are pretty well known, so it wouldn't be uncommon to find others who know them. Liking them is a whole other thing!
Because of Top 100 Club, I've seen about a dozen of your favorites, but if someone was new here (and by new, I mean like Eric/E.T.), which 5 would you choose?

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 01:07:15 PM »
It most definitely would.

Excellent! I'll plan on it.

Haha! I wrote "Store of a Murder." I must have been in a hurry. :D

Because of Top 100 Club, I've seen about a dozen of your favorites, but if someone was new here (and by new, I mean like Eric/E.T.), which 5 would you choose?

I'd be fast friends with anyone who liked any of these. 

You've Got Mail
Return to Me
Galaxy Quest
What's Up Doc?
Support Your Local Sheriff.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 05:00:15 PM »
The Emperor's New Groove
I have a Kuzko facemask (it says "no touchy").  A girl working at a Chipotle recognized it and we had a moment of joyful shared interest.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Many people truly appreciate my favorite film, Spirited Away.  But if a person is a fan of Nausicaa, that says something good about them.

The Double Life of Veronique
Or other Kieslowski films like the Three Colors Trilogy or the Dekolog.  As time goes on, I feel that he is being forgotten, even by art movie fans.

Buckaroo Bonzai Across the 8th Dimension
My favorite cult film, after all this time.

Tsai's Walker Series
A strange group of films that I truly love for reasons that are beyond me.  Still, I'd love to meet someone else who really appreciated them.

Honorable mention:
I was able to share my love of Kurosawa's samurai films with a young man in my church last week.  He hasn't seen them, but was very interested and I'd love to have a marathon with him.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 05:11:16 PM »
I love this list idea.

I feel like a common love between movies has helped with some relationships here, starting with Bondo and The Florida Project, and happening most recently with Bondo again and We are the Best! Actually, I'm going to put both on the list. Anyone who has seen either and loved either has to be great.

I feel like these movies can't be too well-known, or else you’re casting your net too wide. Not that if someone else loves E.T. that we won't have at least one amazing movie to talk about, but there are probably a lot of people I wouldn't necessarily want to be friends with that like E.T. Probably not so for the following:

1. The Spirit of the Beehive (I don't know if I'll ever find anyone who loves it as much as me)
2. The Florida Project
3. After Life
4. Moonrise Kingdom
5. We are the Best!

HM: Opera (Animated short nominated for the 2021 Oscar), Blackfish, Hail Satan?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 06:59:13 PM by Eric/E.T. »
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 05:18:37 PM »
I love this list idea.

I feel like a common love between movies has helped with some relationships here, starting with Bondo and The Florida Project, and happening most recently with Bondo again and We are the Best! Actually, I'm going to put both on the list. Anyone who has seen either and loved either has to be great.

I feel like these movies can't be too well-known, or else your casting your net too wide. Not that if someone else loves E.T. that we won't have at least one amazing movie to talk about, but there are probably a lot of people I wouldn't necessarily want to be friends with that like E.T. Probably not so for the following:

1. The Spirit of the Beehive (I don't know if I'll ever find anyone who loves it as much as me)
2. The Florida Project
3. After Life
4. Moonrise Kingdom
5. We are the Best!

HM: Opera (Animated short nominated for the 2021 Oscar), Blackfish, Hail Satan?

I have to say, I really love Spirit of the Beehive, The Florida Project and Hail Satan.  Hi neighbor!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2021, 01:13:41 AM »
I have to say, I really love Spirit of the Beehive, The Florida Project and Hail Satan.  Hi neighbor!

HEY!  :D Yeah, we're good. I did read your review on Beehive on LB. MartinTeller is a fan as well. It's my quintessential E.T. film, top ten 'til the wheels fall off or we find out it led to Ana Torrent becomes a mass murderer or something.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2021, 05:29:05 PM »
1. Robin Hood Prince of Thieves - For this sort of film the 90's were a sweet spot. The more time passes the more I see it to be true. At last historical epics had evolved to a point where they didn't look and sound like shit, while importantly (and counter-intuitively) preceding the modern era where historical epics don't look and sound shitty enough. I hope that they make a hundred more versions of the Robin Hood story... I shall then have a hundred new examples of worse films than Prince of Thieves! I trust in those who trust in this film. :)

I don't what people think of when they think of Prince of Thieves. I know Costner ate shit for his accent... but you know what, this movie takes place in like 1374, so I doubt they sounded like Ben Kingsley either. Damn it, Costner gives a heartfelt performance here and that's what matters. He has it in him to be as likable and playful as a Brad Pitt, and he shows it here interacting with future Pitt co-star Morgan Freeman. But watch Costner as his lands at the beaches of Dover or wherever that is, and falls face down in the sand, and says "I'm home"... he gives the character wonderful spirit. Tell me something good about Russell Crowe as Robin Hood! No, there's nothing memorable there. Just grim and bland. Grim and bland. "Are you not entertained?" No I'm not entertained Mr. Crowe. I certainly can't bring to mind any piece of the soundtrack from your film, which is probably just unmelodic tones. Michael Kamen's theme is... worth hearing in context. That is to say, worth hearing on a 24" Zenith TV with a mono speaker and housed in a wooden cabinet the size and weight of a small mausoleum. Probably sounds okay on a modern system too.

I think this is a film that can be loved. Streaming HBOmax and AMC+ in the US. Hit play, you don't need to wait!

2. Endless Summer II - I've never really sold anyone on this one yet, though several have given it a go for my sake which I appreciate A lot. This is perhaps my oldest dearest film. As a kid my family rented it often enough that we could have bought the tape several times over if we'd been able to find a copy. As a kid I admired everything about the film. I admired the two primary subjects who seemed so cool to me. As a youngster I of course wished I were Pat who seemed to be the life of the party, but as I've grown up I identify more as a Wingnut-type.

This is not a documentary of the intimate variety. There is almost no pure talking head moments in the usual sense. We do not see any real personal ups and downs of Pat or Wingnut. What we have is a couple of guys so obsessed with the original surf doc Endless Summer that they set out to repeat the story for themselves, 30 years later. At least that's the premise and that is the story we see. This is a tribute, and a triumph of good people and good adventures.

If I have a peeve about many docs these days it's that so many of them act like gatekeepers of the subject they profile. They put you on the outside and act like guards. They pump up the importance of their subject, and then reveal it to you in drips and drabs, trying to build drama. It's all a big pretence. And that is entirely lacking with Endless Summer 2. This film at so many points demonstrates to its viewers just how universal and accessible it's subject is. It encourages the audience to grab a board and have an adventure of their own. It works to entertain, and make you smile, not to persuade you that surfing is the be-all-end-all sport, or that if Pat and Wingnut don't do X than their jounrey is a failure. There aren't really any stakes here... this is like a dear friend taking out an old photo album to show you and it's full of fun adventures. You'll cringe, you'll laugh, and you'll be inspired, and at the end you may come away feeling warm, and positive and nostalgic.

Free on YouTube right now! :)

3. Spartan - I've had this movie in my favourites since it came out. I don't think I've ever convinced anyone to watch it. I dunno, it must just look and sound boring. The trailer certainly presents it as a film you've already seen ten thousand times before. So don't watch the trailer. This movie isn't a normal flavour from the ice cream parlour. This is some weird shit you try and end up liking and then can't stop recommending, as I am now.

4. Detachment - 1SO and I both like this one. And he's seen everything! It's in his top 100 of the 2010's!

It's remarkable how a film so unbalanced manages to get right to the heart of matters multiple times.

Put your Kanopy account to good use and watch it!

5. Tank Girl - If your expectations are low or non-existent I think this could work for you. It is a very very dumb movie, but is at least faithful to the stylings of it's source material. And I happen to think that source material is pretty rad. The film is committed to the cause. It is both great and horrible in all the ways that a doggedly faithful adaptation to a bizarre source material can be. Sometimes it works really well. Lori Petty works really well. Ice T as a man-dog doesn't work very well.

If you found Fury Road too serious, but enjoyed all the sand and wacky vehicles, then imagine this is what's happening on the other side of the planet. But it's dumb. I must warn you of it's dumbness. But it's big too. Weird and big. I don't really recommend it, but if you already like it, then I like that you like it. :)