love

Author Topic: Top 5 Handshake Films (aka. 5 Films Because...)  (Read 2340 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Re: Top 5 Handshake Films (aka. 5 Films Because...)
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2021, 10:56:20 PM »
5. Tank Girl - If your expectations are low or non-existent I think this could work for you. It is a very very dumb movie, but is at least faithful to the stylings of it's source material. And I happen to think that source material is pretty rad. The film is committed to the cause. It is both great and horrible in all the ways that a doggedly faithful adaptation to a bizarre source material can be. Sometimes it works really well. Lori Petty works really well. Ice T as a man-dog doesn't work very well.

If you found Fury Road too serious, but enjoyed all the sand and wacky vehicles, then imagine this is what's happening on the other side of the planet. But it's dumb. I must warn you of it's dumbness. But it's big too. Weird and big. I don't really recommend it, but if you already like it, then I like that you like it. :)

I can’t believe there’s a Tank Girl movie! The comic was lent to me by a friend a decade ago, the first “indie” comic I’d read, which got me into many subsequent comics. It kind of blew my mind, both brash and absurdist, I can’t imagine adapting such a thing. Just tells me there is hope for an Elephantmen adaptation.

Now I know it exists, I very well may have to see it.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2021, 10:57:17 PM »
It's on Prime Video and Hoopla at the moment

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2021, 11:08:39 PM »
OK, the odds of it happening anytime too soon are very low, lol. I still need to do your movie month! The Man Who Planted Trees is still on, but I can't just do a short and call it a day.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2021, 11:13:03 AM »
The Emperor's New Groove
I have a Kuzko facemask (it says "no touchy").  A girl working at a Chipotle recognized it and we had a moment of joyful shared interest.

Every time I hear a quote from this movie, I think of your family. :)

1. Robin Hood Prince of Thieves

Your love for this film (and the score) and the commentaries to back it up, endeared me to it more and have continued to do so. You're the ambassador of goodwill for Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. I can't watch it now without thinking of all the reasons you've reminded me why it's so great. :)

2. Endless Summer II - I've never really sold anyone on this one yet

Au contraire! I wish I could go back and fix the tinypics, but my happy experience with the film is still intact.

Endless Summer II

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2021, 01:36:02 PM »
I stand corrected! :))

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2021, 05:41:45 PM »
I stand corrected! :))

From your response in that thread
This is just an observation (not an accusation): It might be easy to think "I wish the whole film was just the surfing bits, because the on land stuff is rather silly" (and it is), but I actually think that serves the film well. It's those breaks that make the surfing bits feel special. It distinguishes the moment and the location, whereas a straight surf reel would tend to blend together in one's mind.

That's what kind of happens in Endless Summer, the first film. After a while it got a bit too repetitive. I need to watch the sequel.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2021, 01:12:06 AM »
In no order.

1. The Insider
2. Wind River
3. The Host
4. Le Samouraď
5. Everest

Not the kind of movies i would expect to come up in conversation around here so I'll go with them. I could definitely add some more Korean or old hollywood classics in there.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2021, 01:15:36 AM »
The selections so far fascinate me. I hope everybody posts their five.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2021, 06:51:39 AM »

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2021, 08:58:49 AM »
The selections so far fascinate me. I hope everybody posts their five.

Still thinking about this one there are certain nostalgic films like

Better off Dead
Karate Kid
Crazy People
Real Genius

Or other obscure films

The Dark Backwards (a movie that I made my dad suffer through once)
Johnny Got His Gun
How to Get Ahead in Advertising

The last film is one all should watch

https://youtu.be/OpfQ_6iL1rg

Story on Real Genius - I had a roommate during university days that hated his last name and really was not very fond of his father.  He often talked about wanting to change his last name with his GF before they got married.  When they got engaged, she said if he was serious he better do it before they got married as she didn’t want to change her name twice.  So he went to court and legally changed his last name so he had the same name as the character as Val Kilmer in Real Genius. 

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman