Author Topic: Top 5 Unlikely Favourites  (Read 1442 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Top 5 Unlikely Favourites
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 09:44:59 AM »
Great thread! I'm really enjoying reading the "why's" of these unlikely films.

All of my top 100 are pretty Sandyesque, but one film that comes to mind that fits this thread is Cabin in the Woods. I wasn't expecting to like it, let alone laugh. Good stuff.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 03:31:21 PM »
I dunno, my tastes are so eclectic I'm not sure I consider any of my favorites unlikely.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2021, 06:15:12 PM »
2. Moana / Wreck-It Ralph - Disney musical / Candy-colored animation - Also the two films that have now made it far less unlikely that I will positively engage with future Disney productions, and convinced me to sign up for D+.

Curious statement... is there a story here I missed?

Been meaning to respond to this, my weeks are just so packed.

20th century Disney is full of sexism with some covert racism. 21st century Disney has been buying up properties like crazy, becoming even more of a corporate behemoth/evil empire. I struggle with the question of Art vs. Product, including the intersection between the two, and envision a world where public spending on art keeps us from falling into the vain pop culture hell that my country is particularly strong in creating and exporting. I spend a lot of time with entertainment, too little with what I consider true or authentic art, so the contradiction and feel of unease upon reflection continues.

Moana and Ralph sit at that uncomfortable intersection of art and product, and are top notch at what they do. I'm a sucker for things with big heart that make you feel good, it's where I become vulnerable. Of course, Disney exploits the good nature in people to sell products, consolidate their hold on the industry, and drive the pop culture machine forward. But Moana and Wreck-It Ralph are just so good, comforting when the world eats you up and spits you out, and ultimately that has value to me. If I bombed my math lesson, got stuck in unbearable traffic, and have my anxiety at a 10, I'm not going to watch Tokyo Story, I'm going to watch Wreck-It Ralph. Denying it is just dishonest. But there is contradiction there with what I believe about movies and art, which make these truly unlikely favorites.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

love