Author Topic: 300  (Read 6167 times)

angieb

• My Dumb Myspace
Re: 300
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 01:45:21 PM »
I liked this flick a lot, though I thought it was a tad bit overwritten. There were times when I felt liked the dialog could have been out of any movie of that genre.

That being said, it was an absolutely gorgeous film. The scene with the Oracle was one of the most compelling visual experiences I've had in a while.

It should also be mentioned that I don't care if it's historically accurate. I ALWAY considered it a piece of fictional writing. One of my favorite things to do after a film is learn the history of characters on screen, not learn about them and act as if the filmmakers couldn't find the same, easily attained information. Sometimes making movies is about making choices.

Iron Bay

Persian Archers
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 08:36:07 AM »
OK, here's what's really been bugging me about this film.

How is it that early in the film the Persian archers were so ineffective that the Spartans were literally laughing at them, but at the end of the film the same archers were able to mow the Spartans down like Rambo with a gatling gun? It was like one of the archers woke up the morning of the last battle and said "Hey, guys, what do you say we use the arrows with the pointy ends today?"

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 09:22:22 AM »
To answer your question about the archers... it had to do with distance (the first time they fired at the Spartans, they were much further away) and the fact that the Spartans had broken the phalanx in the second archer attack.  In the initial attack, the Spartans were in their traditional formation which allowed them to protect and cover eachother, once that broke down in the final battle, they were easy pickings because (with enough arrows) eventually you'll hit some part of the body not covered by a shield.  Also, and I only know any of this because I watched a History Channel doc. about the battle of the 300, the Spartans shields were covered in with a thin layer of metal (Bronze, I think) which gave them significantly more protection than the wicker (yes, literaly made of wicker) shields of the Persians.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 10:05:24 AM »
Seems to me the Persians would have done better making chairs instead of shields. They got their asses handed to them later on down the line.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 01:18:22 PM »
yes, well, that's a good point... chairs would have been better, but then, no movie, so I guess in the long run, we're better off ;)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 04:38:36 AM »
ROFL!
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

rie

• looseframing
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 05:46:54 PM »
so a friend of mine, whose movie judgment i trust, sent me this comment on 300: "300 is worth watching. It’s a weird mix of bloodshed, bushista-jingoism, anti-war sentiment, MTV, homoerotic sentiment, and just plain insanity.  It really is funny."

is this accurate?  is this all a good thing?  i'm getting the idea from y'all who've posted here that i should definitely take the time to watch this, but this little off-the-cuff synopsis has me wondering...   ???

peace- rie
I would hurl words into this darkness and wait for an echo, and if an echo sounded, no matter how faintly, I would send other words to tell, to march, to fight, to create a sense of the hunger for life that gnaws in us all.

Richard Wright

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 05:56:53 PM »
Replace "anti war" with "pro war" and you are good to go.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Maphon

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 12:23:24 AM »
All i know, is that this film made me think a lot higher of the Sepia layer...

love