Author Topic: Weather  (Read 634 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Weather
« on: February 03, 2022, 12:16:52 PM »
I couldn't find a thread of this so here goes.

We've got icy roads here that probably will stay until sometime tomorrow. Sucks that we always get this icy rain mix at least once a year. We're better equipped after the Texas snow disaster of last year, not nearly as many power outages, but still just bad conditions with drivers who don't know how to handle winter weather.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Weather
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 01:31:09 PM »
It’s tricky in places that get adverse road conditions infrequently enough and for short enough durations that it doesn’t justify investing in a lot of the mitigation tactics. Unfortunately people don’t like to hear (and some people can’t afford) stay home for two days until it clears up.

Meanwhile after setting a record for latest first snow we’re now above average and each notable snowfall costs my HOA $10K+ for snow clearance. Companies that do it are so short staffed they don’t accept new customers which means you can’t leave ones underperforming or that feel overpriced (though obviously aren’t per the market).

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 03:11:45 PM »
I once spent twelve hours driving from Texarkana to Austin in an ice storm (having started the day in Tennessee). It was one of the most exhilarating nights of my life.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad