Author Topic: #889: Blonde / Double Indemnity (Stanwyck #6) / Hockeyland  (Read 414 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
#889: Blonde / Double Indemnity (Stanwyck #6) / Hockeyland
« on: September 16, 2022, 06:50:35 PM »
Andrew Dominik's long-in-the-works Marilyn Monroe tale BLONDE (based on the 1999 novel by Joyce Carol-Oates), offers a nightmarish portrayal of the actress and icon that avoids some of the pitfalls of celebrity biopics (thanks in part to its impressive formal approach) while running headlong into others. Mostly in agreement on the film, Adam and Josh remain divided on a few things, including the central performance by Ana de Armas. Also on the show, the sixth and final film in the Summer of Stanwyck Marathon, DOUBLE INDEMNITY, and the Stanwyck Marathon Awards. Plus, Adam recommends the new doc HOCKEYLAND.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 12:04:51 AM by saltine »
Texan Down Under

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Blonde / Double Indemnity (Stanwyck #6) / Hockeyland
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 08:26:13 PM »
Love hearing you talk about Stanwyck all these weeks. Adam mentioned how Fred MacMurray's performance and chemistry with Stanwyck in Indemnity improves with rewatches. I would say the same with Gary Cooper in Ball of Fire. Lady Eve and Ball of Fire are both in my Top 150, but Fire has climbed higher with rewatches, and that's largely due to Cooper and the way he interacts with Stanwyck while being handed great dialogue like, "I shall regret the absence of your keen mind; unfortunately, it is inseparable from an extremely disturbing body."