Author Topic: Pink Floyd and solo Spin offs for Eric  (Read 4568 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Pink Floyd and solo Spin offs for Eric
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2022, 05:44:05 AM »
Broken China Richard Wright 1996

I forgot about this and stumbled upon my CD today when clearing out a box.  Haven’t gotten the chance to go back for a full listen but I do remember the song Breakthrough is he played it a some of the David Gilmour live concert Disks and always liked it.  A quick synopsis from Wiki

“The album is a four-part concept album based on Wright's then-wife Mildred's battle with depression,[4] and is very much like a classic Pink Floyd concept album in its structure and overall feel.[citation needed] Two songs, "Reaching for the Rail" and "Breakthrough" feature Sinéad O'Connor on lead vocals, with Wright singing elsewhere. “

Album version:
https://youtu.be/ZAMDT3jrEK8

Live version with Richard Wright singing from a David Gilmour concert; really a great arrangement
https://youtu.be/PzTW9Wdl1P8
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2022, 08:13:45 PM »
Going to skip the 4rd David Gilmour solo album for now; it needs more listens.

Is this the Life We Really Want? Roger Waters 2017

Both Gilmour and Waters output by now has really slowed.  It had been 25 years since Waters last album. There have been a few tours that made mega bucks playing DSotM or The Wall mixed with some solo stuff and maybe a couple individuals songs that surface until this.  Being 74 when this was recorded, I’m guessing the last major release of new songs.  He is said to be working on his memoirs but I am thinking that is going to be mostly snide comments about Gilmour and Wright and a lot of his political thinking.  PF had some political themes but the songs could also resonate on personal level as well; but at times Waters solo work after Pros and Cons are overtly political and are less relatable on a purely personal level.  Not all but they do move more in that directly.

I can relate to some of his views but certainly not aligned on all of his thinking and some I don’t have an understanding to really qualify an opinion.

As for the album…

From Wiki:
Waters initially planned to record a concept album;[7] he conceived a radio play about a man and his granddaughter investigating why children are being killed in other parts of the world.[7] He described the play as "part magic carpet ride, part political rant, part anguish", and said it featured about a dozen songs.

God knows what that would have been. Its saving grace was bringing in Nigel Godrich who produced Radiohead.  Godrich was a fan of Waters from PF but found his solo work unlistenable.  He wanted to feature more the Poet and not create some grand theatrical experience.

That doesn’t mean it is not political in nature but it doesn’t try to wrap the songs around a concept and they can be taken in individually on their own. 

Déjà Vu

https://youtu.be/gf7kMaurLZk

The Last Refugee

https://youtu.be/_XdLNqWYgGI
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2022, 07:51:43 PM »
On an Island, David Gilmour

Without playing for PF, DG tends to explore rock fusion and end up with albums that could be classified as “easy listening rock”.  Certainly On an Island can be classified this way.  DG’s solo efforts are wonderful, but more apt to keep in the background, mot unlike The Endless River.   But when you have the greatest solo rock guitarist to serenade you, what is there to complain about?  On an Island does have tracks that stand out, however:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zgtoe1CvlHE&feature=shares

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EFFpRDlOzS0&feature=shares
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2022, 02:21:45 AM »
I quite like This Heaven.

The Endless River is certainly background music, maybe something to play while reading a book.  I will listen again  when I start reading again. 

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2022, 08:45:25 PM »
I still have the last David Gilmour album to get to; will do a few more plays over the holiday to gather my thoughts or feels of the songs.

While doing this little project and researching the last post on Richard Wrights album, I ended up playing the entire David Gilmour In Concert DVD with my wife in the room.  She is not really that big of a fan of my older music tastes.  She pretty much knows PF when she hears it but not something she is really interested to listen to.  But she stopped to sit and watch for a while and commented about Gilmour’s talent.
While he has quite a large band for most of this show, the stripped down; mostly acoustic arrangements really make him shine as a musician and arranger.  Gone are any backing tracks, effects or gimmicks to create a message.. just pure musical delight.  I think I bought the DVD in 2005 and it has had more plays than anything else in my collection.  If you are a fan and never watched.. well.. you are a fool and need to correct this error

Just a sample, the opening 10 mins of Shine On
Shine On

https://youtu.be/_ESWi0WtG0Y

The entire 130 min concert

https://youtu.be/5hrd5Ek54VA

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2023, 01:17:10 AM »
Just found news that Gilmour is working on a new solo album; only mentioned that it would likely come out sometime in 2023.  Recording was delayed due to Covid and able to work with other musicians but it is in the works followed by a tour.  Not likely he will come to this side of the world but will try to see a show if I can make it work during a trip back home

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2023, 12:58:00 AM »
Lots of news lately with Gilmour’s wife (Author/writer) Polly Samson calling Waters out as an Anti-Semite and Putin apologist after a recent interview in Germany.  Seems like there be another possible lawsuit coming though I am not sure this is how I would want to spend my days/years at this stage in life. Following that blow up was an announcement from Waters that he has re-recorded Dark Side of the Moon and intends to release it in May with a lot of bitter comments about his former band mates. I will listen but likely out of some morbid curiosity of what he believes the soul of the music should sound like.  Just a few rants from different stories

https://deadline.com/2023/02/dark-side-of-the-moon-rerecorded-by-roger-waters-without-other-pink-floyd-members-1235254157/

“ Waters told the Berliner Zeitung that “the new concept is meant to reflect on the meaning of the work, to bring out the heart and soul of the album,” he added, “musically and spiritually.””

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/roger-waters-rerecords-pink-floyd-the-dark-side-of-the-moon

“ “Well, Nick never pretended. But Gilmour and Rick [Wright, the keyboardist]? They can’t write songs, they’ve nothing to say. They are not artists!” said Waters. “They have no ideas, not a single one between them. They never have had, and that drives them crazy.” ”

“  “I wrote The Dark Side of the Moon,” he said. “Let’s get rid of all this ‘we’ crap! Of course we were a band, there were four of us, we all contributed – but it’s my project and I wrote it. So… blah!””

https://americansongwriter.com/roger-waters-rerecords-the-dark-side-of-the-moon-without-the-rest-of-pink-floyd/

“ “The new concept is meant to reflect on the meaning of the work, to bring out the heart and soul of the album, musically and spiritually,” said Waters. “I’m the only one singing my songs on these new recordings, and there are no rock and roll guitar solos.””

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2023, 03:34:16 AM »
Bitter old men publicly sharing their bitterness, such a wonderful way to finalise your career. It is sad.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2023, 04:42:51 PM »
Very sad…

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2023, 02:03:20 PM »
Roger, at least his politics, is misunderstood.  As communicated clearly in his songs, he is anti-war, any war for whatever reason.  Thus he is anti Zionist, not anti Semitic.  He is opposed to sending arms to Ukraine, but not anti Ukraine.   And he is horrible at responding to any kind of attacks.

Of course David and the others can write songs.  They aren’t as good in the concept album side and they generally don’t write as well as Roger.  But even Roger, it seems, leans too hard on the list-making school of lyrics.

They ar all amazing at creating drama, story, and emotion through their various art.  They are generally better at it together than separately, but it is all good.  Roger and Polly will calm down.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love