love

Author Topic: Pink Floyd and solo Spin offs for Eric  (Read 4566 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Pink Floyd and solo Spin offs for Eric
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2023, 05:04:20 PM »
I don’t think I misunderstand his politics as much as I sometimes think his critique is a bit one sided and he is good at calling out hog wash if somebody makes a counter point. 

For a brief period my wife got interested in Waters as his interviews started circulating over WeChat and other Chinese social media platforms as he was very critical of the West in a few interviews but came to the defence of China as to not abusing human rights.. My wife liked to forward me the videos in which I would just comment that he is half right. 

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2023, 02:44:24 PM »
I don’t think I misunderstand his politics as much as I sometimes think his critique is a bit one sided and he is good at calling out hog wash if somebody makes a counter point. 

For a brief period my wife got interested in Waters as his interviews started circulating over WeChat and other Chinese social media platforms as he was very critical of the West in a few interviews but came to the defence of China as to not abusing human rights.. My wife liked to forward me the videos in which I would just comment that he is half right.

I agree.  Even as Polly is half right about him.

Admittedly, she knows him far better than I.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 02:46:06 PM by oldkid »
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2023, 04:30:19 AM »
I suspected he lip synced or at least sang with a recorded track back when I saw him on the Radio KAOS tour at times, Every Strangers Eyes was just too perfect during the difficult parts. 

When I saw him in Chicago last July I was wondering about some songs like Sheep or Have A Cigar that might be a stretch, since they brought in an outside singer for Have a Cigar.  I actually felt a bit better that he must have been singing it since he screwed up the verse around the 2:15 to 2:20 mark.  Not as easy to see from this view but we were more in front and the guitar player was trying to look over; I think to understand how to keep moving

https://youtu.be/NmS62DgomMY
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2023, 06:44:09 PM »
Crowd is a lot smaller than they were.  I guess that just happens with age.

I've been listening to his latest solo project, "Is this the Life we Really Want?"  It's as good as any of his solo efforts.  I caught all the feels.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2023, 12:24:43 AM »
Crowd is a lot smaller than they were.  I guess that just happens with age.

I've been listening to his latest solo project, "Is this the Life we Really Want?"  It's as good as any of his solo efforts.  I caught all the feels.

Pretty sure the sold was near sold out, but having the stage in the centre gives seems to have more room around the seats since he doesn’t need a mosh pit. 

I guess if I am going to rate the solo efforts..

Pros and Cons
Is this the Life we Really Want?
Amused to Death
Radio KAOS

But I have spent the least amount of time with it, it maybe his best effort if I give it more time.  The couple of songs that I linked to earlier are probably my favourites of his solo career. 

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2023, 06:45:47 PM »
Roger Water’s DSOTM revision has been delayed but he has released Money which gives an idea of what’s to come. I can’t say I really care for the spoken word section over the section of the guitar solo and sax solos.  From what I recall from a previous article, most of the instrumental sections will have spoken word poems which will be a lot on this album.  I’ll give it a listen but likely am not going to revisit it from what I am hearing.

https://youtu.be/SUVmeYgo1Iw

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2023, 08:03:33 PM »
In this version, it seems that Roger is trying for a Leonard Coen sound.  Which is fine, I guess, but not at all like Floyd. I do like that I can hear this song as being distinctly Roger's... which might be what he is after.  But it is still not really his music.  I'm okay with it, I might even add it to my playlist.  and I'm looking forward to the rest of the album.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2023, 04:51:30 AM »
I will give it a listen, just worried about how he fills On the Run, Great Gig in the Sky, Any Colour you Like and the solo sections of Time and Us and Them

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2023, 09:05:08 PM »
Wow, that is truly awful!
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2023, 04:45:15 AM »
I’ve listened to the versions of Speak to Me/Breathe and Time and don’t think I have much interest in the rest of the album.  Especially if Great Gig in the Sky is all spoken word poetry.  There seems to be great effort to keep the songs close to the original length yet cutting out those great parts that helped support them extending to longer length.  Speak to Me/Breathe uses some of the lyrics from Free Four as the intro as the filler.

There also seems to be another album in the works from what I heard in his Q&A series but afraid it may try to go back to a grand concept built around The Bar song that he performed in the last tour.  I think what made “Is This the Life…” album better was that the producer got Roger to drop making it into a grand concept and just focus on a collection of songs.

So still likely 1 David album and possible Roger album in the works

love