love

Author Topic: The Banshees of Inisherin  (Read 356 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
The Banshees of Inisherin
« on: December 14, 2022, 10:12:43 PM »
What's gnawing at me about Banshees is what's going on inside Gleeson's head to where he's so determined to make Farrell go away he threatens to self mutilate... and he does it, which proves Farrell's point that this isn't simply about making music because with no fingers, he can no longer play. Before that happens there's a confrontation at the bar where Gleeson says "That's the most interesting he's ever been. I think I like him again now." It's a very flip statement and I can't  match that with a person who would willingly cut off their own fingers.

I believe there's something deeper going on and I wonder if I missed hints as to what that might be? If there's not, then this is a spot of bad writing that feeds into it being another ham-fisted parable from McDonagh lurching awkwardly into violence.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: The Banshees of Inisherin
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 08:12:49 PM »
I don’t know much (or anything) about the Ireland war of independence and the civil war that followed, but the little I read seem to indicate it is more of an metaphor of the civil war that is happening in the background of the film.  If that is the case, then perhaps the actions do not need to make sense on the individual level as much as a larger political level.  It certainly sucked me in even if I am not completely clear on the meaning. 

At the very least, I found a couple of podcasts to listen to over the break around this period of Ireland.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

addem

Re: The Banshees of Inisherin
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 03:41:23 PM »
One understanding or assumption I had, was that when Gleeson first said it, he was just exasperated.  Only later did he realize that he meant it.  I am basing this on ... nothing.

But also a second thought, based a little more on the story:  His whole complaint is that life is brief and otherwise pointless unless you do something dramatic with it, and only then was there any sense of living.  He set out to make art that would live through generations.  But if he couldn't make art that was worthy of being handed down the generations, then he would at least live out a life of radical commitment to his ideals.  Being so constitutionally opposed to being forgettable and pointless, he thought that chopping off his own fingers would itself be an act worth being talked about and remembered. 

That's also consistent with the moment where he "likes Farrell again".  Because for a moment, Farrell was exceptional and interesting, even if it was angry and destructive -- there was something worth remembering there. 

Also, as a fellow thick-skulled man, a character that is bizarrely obstinate really makes me "feel seen".   :P
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 04:13:06 PM by addem »

love