love

Author Topic: Michael Phillips on why we watch blockbusters? Trying to remember or find this.  (Read 522 times)

Shay

Around 10 years ago on the Filmspotting year-end review, Michael Phillips said something along the lines of

It can be hard to get out to the movies, maybe you have to get a babysitter, the costs can get high. You don't want to have a terrible time. The thing about a blockbuster is that you know you're not going to hate it.

That quote has really stuck with me. Does anyone remember it better than I do?

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
I asked ChatGTP:

jdc115
Can you help me find a quote by Michael Philips about why people go to blockbusters

ChatGTP:
I'm sorry, but I couldn't find any famous quotes by Michael Philips specifically about why people go to blockbusters. However, there is a film critic named Michael Phillips who writes for the Chicago Tribune, so it's possible that you might be referring to him.

In any case, if you could provide me with more context or information about the quote or what movie or topic it pertains to, I might be able to help you better.

jdc:
yes, it is the same Michael from the Chicago tribune. It might have been mentioned on the Filmspotting podcast

ChatGTP:
Thank you for the additional information. After searching for references to Michael Phillips and blockbusters on Filmspotting, I believe the quote you're looking for is:

"People go to the movies on a weekend to be told a story, and that’s what blockbusters do really well. They take people on a ride, and people are happy to pay for that ride."

Michael Phillips said this on the Filmspotting podcast in a discussion about the role of blockbusters in cinema and why they continue to be popular with audiences.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Maybe it isn’t the correct quote but pretty good use to find this type of information.  I tried a movie that I knew they had probably mentioned but not likely reviewed and got this…

In Episode 44 of Filmspotting, which originally aired on November 20, 2005, hosts Adam Kempenaar and Sam Van Hallgren discuss their top 5 most disturbing movies, and "Happiness" makes an appearance on both of their lists.
In Episode 174 of Filmspotting, which originally aired on October 12, 2007, Adam and guest host Michael Phillips (the same film critic we discussed earlier) review "Happiness" as part of their "Controversial Classics" series.
In Episode 501 of Filmspotting, which originally aired on January 23, 2015, Adam and Josh Larsen review "Life Itself", the documentary about Roger Ebert, and they discuss the controversial review that Ebert wrote of "Happiness" when it was released.
These are just a few examples of the many times that "Happiness" has been mentioned or discussed on Filmspotting.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
That is handy, of course you would then need to check those episodes to confirm it is correct, but it will have massively narrowed your search time.

Shay

How cool. Thank you very much.

P.S.: Love Gummo

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
A few times I played with ChatGTP.. but maybe first time I had a practical reason to try.  Do you think it was the quote you were thinking about?

Everybody should love Gummo:)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
That’s amazing.  I had ChatGtp give me essay-length summaries of theological and philosophical ideas through the centuries.  I think it will be helpful.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky