Author Topic: Top 5 favourite tropes  (Read 328 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Top 5 favourite tropes
« on: July 11, 2023, 02:52:01 PM »
Usually a trope is referred to negatively, but I'm sure we all have some tropes that we actually kind of like. Which ones do you tend to enjoy?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Top 5 favourite tropes
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 11:28:00 PM »
I've started answering this a few times because I like most tropes when they're done well. Assembling the team, that awesome line right before a moment of vengeance, the dark and stormy night in a Black & White film, when our romantic leads first have a conversation and we get to see how clever the writing can be. The only troupes I never like are over-used lines like "Buckle up", "We're the same, you and I" and "We weren't teaching him, he was teaching us." But put our one hero in a room and then like 20 opponents show up to fight them... I never get tired of that, even if that hero is ex-military pulled out of retirement for one last job... and this time it's personal.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2023, 11:54:23 PM »
Yes
One last job
Wrong place right person aka You picked on the wrong person this time (e.g. First Blood, Taken)

I can not think of any tropes I am over, but if something is done well the trope does not matter.

Telegram Sam

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 01:53:45 PM »
I like that everyone cast in a bio pic is more attractive than the real person.
I like that James Bond music is still cool.
I like spaceship sound effects in space operas.
I like angels appearing as humans with wings instead of those horror things described in the Bible.
I like serial killer murder walls with tons of photos and strings connecting newspaper clips.

The one I hate is "We've got company."