Author Topic: some suggestions for a middle east marathon  (Read 7543 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: some suggestions for a middle east marathon
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 02:57:43 PM »
There's an interview with Kiarostami in Movie Mutations, a terrific collection edited by Jonathan Rosenbaum and Adrian Martin.

The scenes in the car are totally improvised, with Kiarostami playing the driver (you'll notice the conversations don't have the two actors in the frame at the same time).  Kiarostami didn't tell them when they were shooting instead of rehearsing.  It's unclear if the driver's scenes are improvised with Kiarostami, or just the passengers.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 11:03:16 AM »
kind of a secret improvisation... interesting and also very clever, thanks sdedalus...

alexander

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 06:05:15 PM »
So... have you watched TEN then 10 ON TEN which are good follow ups because they are related to Taste of Cherry? If not, I can make copies and send!!!

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 11:31:30 AM »
I do have those laying round here ... somewhere...
So, you're saying I need to watch those next, then I guess that's what I'll do...
will let you know when i have...

alexander

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 06:06:15 PM »
awesome.  THANKS!!
You'll see.  Watch TEN first.  THEN, after seeing 10 on Ten you will see how it relates.

It is possible through a site like IranianMovies.com to get a lot of these movies.  I don't know about quality.  I haven't ordered.  Very inexpensive. I may do so soon.

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 11:47:47 AM »
OK, I watched "10" and "Ten on 10" over the weekend...
Personally I'm still not sold on the DV revolution, and 10 was to me only interesting because of it's subject matter... but I really missed the scenery shots that made "Taste Of Cherries" so great...

Now Ten on 10, I mostly completely disagreed with Kiarostami, but at the same time I was really engaged and interested (on "the idea of realism" and others), so the best for me was Lesson 10 where Kiarostami said if you want to be successful don't do it like he just told you. Also since Adamandsam often go on about manipulation movies, I would be interested what they had to say on lesson 10, which states that the only reason american films are that successful is that they mastered the art of manipulation best...

Finally, next Weekend I'll be watching "Through the Olive Trees", the week after that "The Wind Will Carry Us" and then i'll close down my Kiarostami marathon and move on to other middle eastern directors...

alexander

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 08:37:22 PM »
awesome. So, I guess you won't wait for me to catch up on Olive Trees. I'm going to order it sooner or later. It's hard to find here.  Wind Will Carry is alright. If you enjoyed Taste... you'll probably dig this.
More comments on TEN later.

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 09:13:25 AM »
I could push the Olives back a bit... So tell you what i'll do, I'll watch "The Wind Will Carry Us" this weekend and then "Through the Olive Trees", plus "And Life Goes on... ", and will withhold information until you've seen them, how does that sound...

alexander

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 05:03:58 PM »
it sounds doable.  I'll order the DVDs on Wednesday. cooL?

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 05:06:40 AM »
fine... So watched "The Wind Will Carry Us" over the weekend and as predicted by alexander I liked it, but for a new reason. This one i liked for it's sense of place, first you get a discovery walk through it and then you quickly get a sense of the village and the daily routine... it's done very well...