love

Author Topic: Beowulf & Grendel  (Read 2698 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Beowulf & Grendel
« on: January 26, 2007, 02:19:27 PM »
I'm sure a few people here must have seen this one.

Before seeing this film I was not familiar with the story of Beowulf at all. Evidently, it is a good one. I thought the movie did it justice. The production quality is very good imo. The look and feel of it are just right. The acting is just fine, and the dialogue is easily understood.

And going to give it some time to sink in and maybe watch it again. I think this film may be, just may be, fantastic.

JoshuaOst

Re: Beowulf & Grendel
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 05:31:22 PM »
Zemeckis is making a version of Beowulf with a lot of big names.  I haven't seen this version though.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 05:40:03 PM »
I hear Mel Gibson is doing a version, using the Olde English: "Hwaet, we Gar-Dena in gaerdagum"  ;)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 05:44:59 PM »
lol, that would be fine by me.  :)  Say what you will, he makes good films.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 05:57:03 PM »
The 13th Warrior is a really underrated version of the Beowulf story, with Antionio Banderas as an Arab scholar visiting the north and witnessing the events in the poem.  Based on a Michael Crichton novel with a much better title (Eaters Of The Dead) and directed by John McTiernan (Predator, Die Hard, The Hunt For Red October), though Crichton apparently reshot much of the film after seeing McTiernan's original cut.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 06:34:06 PM »
As much as I love Westworld, it's not the most stylish of films.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 12:48:50 AM »
I really need to see The Thirteenth Warrior again. I don't think I was old enough to understand what was going on at whatever age I watched it.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

MovieMaven

• It's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 10:01:57 PM »
I'm using every fiber of my being to resist using the word hate here. But I really REALLY did not like this film. I watched this one with a good friend of mine, an english major no less who was very into the Beowolf story, after hearing good things. We both made it about half way through before we started cracking up with laughter. We couldn't contain ourselves. This was just a horrible horrible adaptation, he couldn't stand the 'modern update' to the story and I just couldn't get into it. I was really skeptical about the upcoming hollywood Beowulf until I saw this. There's no way it could be worse than this.
I don't know, I'm making this up as I go.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 06:29:32 AM »
I met the director, he was a very lovely man.  Generous and kind.  His friend is an idiot, though.  Ruined my evening.  I only saw parts of the film, the locations are amazing and the photography is beautiful.

I'm interested in seeing Zemeckis' version as it's getting good press but the trailers look bad.  I've always thought that the Beowulf tale was much like the Don Quixote story, and by that I mean doomed to never be filmed right.  It's not that they are unfilmable it's more that they seem to be cursed.  There are so many filmic versions of both these stories and none that really do them justice.  Although I thought the Don Quixote starring John Lithgow was alright.  Not great but whimsical and engaging. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 06:32:28 AM by CSSCHNEIDER »
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 10:34:04 PM »
Cool that you got to meet the director. I've got to ask though, what's all this about his friend?

I wish more people had seen this. As for the Zemeckis one, I don't think I could bear it.

edit: Lol, my first post is so dumb. I say I'm not familiar with the story, but I go on to say I think the movie does it justic. Oh brother. I wonder if I do that kind of stuff in real life.

ps, the movie rocks.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 10:36:29 PM by smirnoff »