love

Author Topic: Sherrybaby (Spoilers Edition)  (Read 4791 times)

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
Sherrybaby (Spoilers Edition)
« on: January 31, 2007, 03:17:41 PM »
Having seen it last night.  I thought it was a well-crafted film.  Though it wasn't original since we all know about drugs and the struggle to recovery.  Still, I have to give Maggie Gyllenhaal a lot of credit for showing the struggle of recovery and how she can fall apart.  Sherry is a selfish, childish woman who tries to strive for attention, especially from her father and daughter. 

The one scene that I didn't like at all was when Maggie sang that f*cking Bangles song.  It's not Maggie's singing (though she is a good singer) but the song.  The original Bangles version is pretty awful and Maggie's isn't any better. 

For the ending, well I think after trying to reconnect with he daughter, Sherry realizes that it's going to take a long, long time for the reconciliation to happen.  She did some stupid things, crossed state lines and is likely that she's going to jail.  That final scene with her brother (who did a great performance) where she asked him to take of her daughter seemed fulfilling since Sherry can barely take care of herself. 

It's a shame the film didn't get a wide theatrical or even a good arthouse release since it never came to Atlanta. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

Moviebuff28

• Elite Member
Re: Sherrybaby (Spoilers Edition)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 10:46:51 AM »
Having seen it last night.  I thought it was a well-crafted film.  Though it wasn't original since we all know about drugs and the struggle to recovery.  Still, I have to give Maggie Gyllenhaal a lot of credit for showing the struggle of recovery and how she can fall apart.  Sherry is a selfish, childish woman who tries to strive for attention, especially from her father and daughter. 

The one scene that I didn't like at all was when Maggie sang that f*cking Bangles song.  It's not Maggie's singing (though she is a good singer) but the song.  The original Bangles version is pretty awful and Maggie's isn't any better. 

For the ending, well I think after trying to reconnect with he daughter, Sherry realizes that it's going to take a long, long time for the reconciliation to happen.  She did some stupid things, crossed state lines and is likely that she's going to jail.  That final scene with her brother (who did a great performance) where she asked him to take of her daughter seemed fulfilling since Sherry can barely take care of herself. 

It's a shame the film didn't get a wide theatrical or even a good arthouse release since it never came to Atlanta. 
I agree that the only scene that didn't work for me was the scene where Maggie was singing that song.  Also the reason she asked her brother to take care of her daughter was because she was going to be doing impatient rehab.

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 10:50:55 AM »
    I saw Sherrybaby a few days ago and I liked it alot, but there is one thing that sticks out to me as just feeling off
    I just can't let go of the scene where (let's put this delicately...) her father touches her inappropriately.  I know that there was some set up for this earlier in the movie but, it just didn't sit right with me.  I want to say that it felt cliched but maybe that's not right.  Basically, that scene made Sherry too easy to read, made her actions afterward too understandable and took away the struggle of the movie for me.  I'm sure that most people probably feel differently, but it was really the one thing that just didn't fit for me.

etslee

• http://etslee.blogs.friendster.com/my_blog/
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 05:35:17 PM »
    I saw Sherrybaby a few days ago and I liked it alot, but there is one thing that sticks out to me as just feeling off
    I just can't let go of the scene where (let's put this delicately...) her father touches her inappropriately.  I know that there was some set up for this earlier in the movie but, it just didn't sit right with me.  I want to say that it felt cliched but maybe that's not right.  Basically, that scene made Sherry too easy to read, made her actions afterward too understandable and took away the struggle of the movie for me.  I'm sure that most people probably feel differently, but it was really the one thing that just didn't fit for me.

I felt the same way. But I guess they needed something really big to trigger the relapse. I also wished they explored the relationship with her brother more, since he must have been feeling alot of guilt. I didn't feel Sherry was extremely selfish until the late scene with the daughter and getting her into the car. Seeing how much the daughter didn't want to leave, and still taking her, was the definition of selfishness.

love