Author Topic: Top five man/woman crushes.  (Read 61399 times)

crumpet

• slithographer
    • CrumpArt
Top five man/woman crushes.
« on: February 07, 2007, 06:15:29 AM »
Somebody mentioned it in the new Lake House thread.  I was powerless to resist.

Here's my blog post, verbatim, from January 27, 2006, when I made my own man and woman crush lists.

As inspired by the wonderful CineCast Podcast, I bring you my top 5 film/television man-woman-crushes. Because you all desperately want to know. You can’t fool me.

So, without further ado…

Man Crushes:
1. Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn (Lord of the Rings).
2. Nathan Fillion as Captain Tightpants Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly/Serenity).
3. Ethan Hawke as Jesse (Before Sunrise/Before Sunset).
4. Tulio (voiced by Kevin Kline) in The Road to El Dorado. I’m sure that crushing on a cartoon character makes me some sort of freak, but so be it.
5. A tie (yes, I’m a cheater — I wanted them both in) — Brad Pitt as Tyler Durden (Fight Club) and Johnny Depp as most of the characters he’s ever played. Obvious, yes, but obvious for a very good reason.

Woman Crushes:
1. Claudia Black as Aeryn Sun (Farscape)
2. Sigourney Weaver as Ripley (Alien, and especially with the shaved head in Alien 3).
3. Amber Benson as Tara (Buffy).
4. Katherine Moennig as Shane McCutcheon (The L Word).
5. Audrey Tatou as Amelie Poulain.

EDITED TO ADD:
I couldn’t leave it. I was trying to go “film only” in my man crush list, and as a result, forgot about two of my eternal loves…
1. David Wenham as Diver Dan in Seachange, an Australian TV show from the late 90s. David Wenham has gone on to star in several Australian films, and also appeared in Lord of the Rings as Faramir, but every Australian woman (and most of the men, I’m sure) fell for him hard and fast when he first appeared in Seachange.
2. Colin Firth as Mr Darcy in the BBCs adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. Rowr.

Really, I have to wonder why My Other Boyfriend (TM), Zach Braff, wasn't on the list.  Mmmm... Zach Braff...

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Top five man/woman crushes.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 11:27:27 AM »
I really only have 2 man-crushes. Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp. They are the men.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 11:49:04 AM »
I have to play the opposite game here and say the women that I'd cross back over the fence for.  I'm sorry if these aren't very inspired.  I haven't given this some serious thought for about 10 years.

1. Angelina Jolie - The gay man's straight man's Brad Pitt.  If you pose this question to ANY straight man, you will ALWAYS get Brad Pitt.  It's the default cop-out.

2. Milla Jovovich - I've had a crush on her ever since that scene in The Fifth Element in that white strap dress she wears right after her birth.

3. The Forehead - Christina Ricci - Her eyes and forehead are so big that she's a hair's width on the side of freakish.  However, she's played bad girl roles with such intensity that I'm convinced she's a bad girl in real life.  Freakish bad girls, I've heard, can be quite exciting.

4. The Neck - Gwyneth Paltrow - In Emma she used it to reach the top branches for leaves to eat.  If ever I had a fetish it would be for Gwyneth's neck.

5. Cate Blanchette - She's not sexual, or by many standards, in league with Angelina in terms of outward beauty, but her magnitism is so intense, she could convince me to leave Jerry and give her my life savings.  I'm thankful she only uses her powers for good.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 11:53:22 AM »
I have to play the opposite game here and say the women that I'd cross back over the fence for.  I'm sorry if these aren't very inspired.  I haven't given this some serious thought for about 10 years.

1. Angelina Jolie - The gay man's straight man's Brad Pitt.  If you pose this question to ANY straight man, you will ALWAYS get Brad Pitt.  It's the default cop-out.

Are you calling me out here? You wanna take this outside?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 03:42:44 PM »
My friends and I went thru this exercise a few months ago, but I can't remember my full girl crush list (the guy crush list was difficult in a different way... 5 is just too few).

angelina jolie -the default
diane lane - hello unfaithful
susan sarandon - i hope i age like that
catherine zeta-jones - she hasn't done much lately but...
and I can't remember the 5th one
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

crumpet

• slithographer
    • CrumpArt
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 11:49:17 PM »
5. Cate Blanchette - She's not sexual, or by many standards, in league with Angelina in terms of outward beauty, but her magnitism is so intense, she could convince me to leave Jerry and give her my life savings.  I'm thankful she only uses her powers for good.

I think Cate Blanchette is absolutely, stunningly beautiful.  I thought about adding her to my list yesterday, but like you said, it's more of a magnetic thing than a sexual thing.  She could read the telephone book and I'd sit and watch her for hours.

Actually, it's the same kind of thing with Audrey Tatou as Amelie.  I need to rethink my number five spot.  The problem is, I'm far more attracted to female musicians than actors or characters in films.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 02:35:52 AM »
I did a top ten woman crushes for another thread a few monts back...

1.Keira Knightly
2.Maggie Gyllenhaal
3.Ginnifer Goodwin
4.Kristen Bell (she only recently made the list because of this forum, so I'm tempted to see Pulse)
5.Mary Stuart Masterson (I actually have an actor friend who got to make out with her in a movie, so yeah, I'm jealous)
6.Laura Linney
8.Kelli McDonlad (Another recent addition, she's smokin hot and in all these great movies)
9.Kristen Stewart
10.Emma Watson

Honorable Mention...
Jennifer Morrison

Top 5 Man Crushes
Clive Owen
Zach Braff
James Dean
That's all I got at the moment
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 07:57:39 AM »
Dude... Emma Watson isn't legal!
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 08:22:10 AM »
She is in Britain [/loophole]

For me

Women
1. Scarlett Johannson
2. Kristin Bell (seriously, Veronica Mars is the greatest)
3. Jessica Biel
4. Zooey Deschanel (I cant particularly explain it, she's just got something)
5. Elisha Cuthbert

honourable mentions to Rosario Dawson, Rebecca Hall and Natalie Portman.  The delectable Juliette Binochet picks up the ultimate older woman award.

Men
1. Brad Pitt
2. Johnny Depp
3. Kiefer Sutherland (I love you Jack Bauer)
4. Leo
5. Christian Bale

Maybe an honourable mention to George Clooney, Matt Damon & Adrian Grenier (only if he's being Vinnie Chase though)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 05:35:15 PM by Wilson »

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 08:43:14 AM »
I can't possibly limit men to 5, although Hugh Jackman and Jude Law definitely would have to be on the shortest of lists.

Women (in no particular order):

Julie Delpy
Monica Bellucci
Catherine Zeta-Jones
Rachel McAdams
The entire female cast of Serenity/Firefly

love