love

Poll

What should AdamandSam do for the next marathon?

Middle East Marathon
2 (7.4%)
Italian Masters Marathon
5 (18.5%)
Bollywood
6 (22.2%)
Contemporary Asian
8 (29.6%)
French New Wave
4 (14.8%)
Other
2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: The Next, Next Marathon  (Read 4194 times)

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
The Next, Next Marathon
« on: February 09, 2007, 10:11:17 AM »
So they said the wanted to do "foreign".  Which one do you think they should do.  If you say other, please say what you would choose.  they might already have it decided so make your voice heard now!

alexarch

• Godfather
Re: The Next, Next Marathon
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 10:23:33 AM »
There was a lot of input/interest shown in the GLBT marathon.  I'm surprised you didn't list it.  That, The Middle Eastern Marathon thread and the French New Wave threads got the most play...of course, I could be very biased.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 10:33:35 AM »
Oh, and before anyone is thinking of walking on shells around me, with regards to that last comment, believe me I don't feel "discriminated" against or anything like that.  I tend not to be that kind of person.  I can be that way sometimes, but I try not to be.

Frank, very kindly, asked me about my level of offendedness to the infamous Snickers commercial.  I laughed my a off at that commercial, and if anyone should be offended it should be straight males who are portrayed as dopey-dumbs who react dumbly to a dopey-dumb, contrived situation.  I was very angry at the HRC, who I give money to, for wasting their time and my money on such a trivial insignificant, yet very funny commercial, and by connecting it to, and thereby trivializing, the very serious issue of hate crimes against GLBT people.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 12:07:12 PM by alexarch »

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 10:50:14 AM »
Oh... so that what you're talking about... what does the BT stand for "bisexual tendencies" ?

I guess kwinslow simply left it out because most of the suggested movies are in english (AKA not foreign)... did I mention that John Cameron Mitchell did mention my choice "Taxi zum Klo" in his interview on The Treatment...

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 10:51:46 AM »
gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgendered

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
I see, in germany we always cut off the last two... it's just "schwul-lesbisch"

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 11:09:03 AM »
I see, in germany we always cut off the last two... it's just "schwul-lesbisch"
Please don't get me started on the subject of hypersensitivity of my brethren and sisteren in the community.  I must love them all because they are my family, but like blood family, they will be the first to get under your skin when talking politics.  And speaking of, I apologize for hijacking this discussion.

Back to talking about marathons.

Given Magnus's really great arguments and insights about the Middle Eastern Marathon, I would vote for it if not a GLBT marathon.

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 11:58:13 AM »
Oh... so that what you're talking about... what does the BT stand for "bisexual tendencies" ?

I guess kwinslow simply left it out because most of the suggested movies are in english (AKA not foreign)... did I mention that John Cameron Mitchell did mention my choice "Taxi zum Klo" in his interview on The Treatment...

That was pretty much the reason.  AdamandSam said the wanted to do a foreign film marathon, but I'd like to see a GLBT marathon as well.

** I laughed at that comerical too **

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 12:59:19 PM »
Great topic folks... was just thinking about this myself. Don't want to shoot down the majority, but I dont think French New Wave is going to be it. There is plenty I need to see, but I've seen enough Godard, Truffaut, etc... not to feel like a total idiot. Whereas someone like Bresson has been totally overlooked by me except one film. I think I would like to focus on one director, or two tops...

I am very intrigued by a GLBT marathon and would love to hear ideas for a lineup...
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 01:05:43 PM »
There's lots here, Adam.