love

Author Topic: Top 5 movies that need a Criterion collection disc.  (Read 11548 times)

StandAloneMatt

Top 5 movies that need a Criterion collection disc.
« on: February 15, 2007, 11:20:48 PM »
One I can think of is Bottle Rocket - it must be lonely with Rushmore/Tenenbaums/Life Aquatic being in already.

Grave of the Fireflies would be great too - and its the one Ghibli film not in the Disney deal.

Only Yesterday (Studio Ghibli) would be another great choice.  Disney has shelved a DVD release of it due to some of the content being too adult for Disney's liking.  It would be great if Disney allowed Criterion to release it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 02:08:02 AM by StandAloneMatt »

crumpet

• slithographer
    • CrumpArt
Re: Top 5 movies that need a Criterion collection disc.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 12:05:46 AM »
Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, preferably together in a boxed set.

spooncivicR

• Goodnight Julia...
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 12:47:39 AM »
5. The Life of Oharu
4. Millennium Mambo or any Hsiao-hsien Hou
3. Tenshi no Tamago or any animation
2. The Magnificent Ambersons
1. Fallen Angels
Whatever Happens, Happens

Letterboxd

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 03:11:13 AM »
1. Ashes Of Time (Wong Kar-wai) - The only DVD of Wong's hallucinatory kung fu film is one of the worst DVDs ever pressed.

2. The Taiwan Trilogy (A City Of Sadness, The Puppetmaster, Good Men, Good Women) (Hou Hsiao-hsien) - Any Hou would be great, but the first one isn't on DVD and the second is appallingly cropped(!) to full frame 1.33. 

3. Eisenstein Silents - A box set of Potemkin, Strike and October has long been rumored (since at least the box of Eisenstein's sound film was released), but for some reason it's never happened.

4. The Loyal 47 Ronin (Kenji Mizoguchi) - Any Mizoguchi would be great, and it looks like a bunch is in the works between Criterion and Masters Of Cinema in 2007.

5. Touch Of Evil (Orson Welles) - A package like the one for Mr. Arkadin, with the three different versions in the proper aspect ratio (the current DVD is distorted to widescreen 1.85).
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 12:00:50 PM »
1. Days of Heaven-Needs improved audio and loads of special features with interviews from the cast.
2. The Thin Red Line (both the theatrical version and the rumored 6-hour cut)
3. Before Sunrise/Before Sunset (Unless a third film is to be made soon)
4. Bottle Rocket
5. Breaking the Waves
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

sodajerk

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 01:18:38 PM »
1. Arizona Dream (Emir Kusturica)
2. Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (Eleanor Coppola, George Hickenlooper, Fax Bahr)
3. Brewtser McCloud (Robert Altman)
4. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (Chia-Liang Liu)
5. Me and You and Everyone We Know (Miranda July)

On a side note, Jim Jarmusch's Night On Earth is getting a Criterion release this fall. I'm looking forward to getting to see it.

edited to add director's names
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 11:16:55 AM by sodajerk »

StandAloneMatt

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 01:59:55 PM »
I still can't believe there hasn't been a hearts of darkness/apocalypse now set.  Whatever rights issues need to be settled.

I would also love to have a Blade Runner criterion - but I doubt WB would let that happen - they are taking their sweet time.  Same with the Dark City director's cut.

Recent films I would love to see that had less than spectacular DVD releases (I am not holding my breath - these are more personal favorites, not typical Criterion fare) - The Insider, The Big Lebowski, Oldboy, Perfect Blue, Pi, Requiem for a Dream, Waking Life), O Brother Where art thou? (and Hudsucker, well - pretty much more Coen) and Close Encounters of the Third Kind (but keep the inside edited out).  I choose these becuase I find the current DVD releases very lacking.  These would probably all sell well too.

We also need a huge Kill Bill set with the films seperatly and re-edited together from Disney or even Criterion.  This should have already happened.

I am happy La Haine is finally coming.

For older fare (just in case you only thought I wanted recent films) - I would love to see Welles Othello.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 02:18:02 PM by StandAloneMatt »

StandAloneMatt

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 02:01:08 PM »
By the way - everyone has made some awesome choices.  I would love to see Adam (and Sam) comment on this.

sodajerk

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 02:13:54 PM »
I'd also kinda like to see the Evil Dead trilogy get the Criterion treatment.

BTW, here's a link to the first of ten clips of Brewster McCloud in its entirety.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 02:18:05 PM by sodajerk »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 02:26:45 PM »
The Fog of War is about the only one that comes to mind as being significant enough to warrant it.

love