love

Author Topic: Top 5 movies that need a Criterion collection disc.  (Read 11545 times)

crumpet

• slithographer
    • CrumpArt
Re: Top 5 movies that need a Criterion collection disc.
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 06:29:20 AM »
The Fisher King

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2007, 11:12:21 AM »
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

To take a page outta Crumpet's book, I think all of Gilliam's films should be on Criterion.  Their work on Brazil was great, and what they could include in a Baron Munchausen set would be amazing.  Mass numbers of poor reviews, deleted scenes (4 of which were on the Laser Disc) commentry, FX Behind the Scenes, Sarah Polley commentary.  Could be great.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2007, 12:45:49 PM »
I agree.  I totally enjoyed Baron Munchausen.

I think Gilliam and Malick both deserve full Criterion treatments on all of their films. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2007, 04:57:42 PM »
While I don't particualarly like Malick's films, I do respect him greatly, and the DVDs available of his work are pathetic.  A boxed set of his films would be amazing, including all 3 cuts of New World, my second fave of his.  Include Commentary by him and David Gordon Green, the two are friends and it would be interesting to hear Green expound on how each film has influenced his style.  Also commentary by Lubeski on New World, a Lighting Demonstration by Lubeski recreating some of the magnificent natural light set ups.

And while I'm at it, I want Criterion Editions of all of Sophia Coppola's movies.  Each of these could be beefed up, and would be worth double dipping, we're already waiting for a mightier edition of Marie Antoinette, why not make it Criterion.Include commentaries, behind the scenes, outtakes, lance Accord commentary, lighting excercises.  These could be great, with beautiful cover art they would be works of art in themselves.

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2007, 10:28:07 PM »
Yes, Yes!!!!  All Criterion DVD versions of Sofia Coppola's films.  With an additional commentary by... me!!!!!!  ;D

I want full-on Criterion work on all of Malick's films.  Commentaries by the actors and fans (including Green).  A 6-hour version of The Thin Red Line, and all loads of stuff.  For Days of Heaven, a segment of Nestor Almendros' cinematography from the Visions of Light documentary along with retrospective interviews and commentaries from the cast.  I know Richard Gere admitted that he didn't have a great time making the film.  I would still like to hear on what he has to say about it now. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

Moviebuff28

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 07:23:53 PM »
Kill Bill
Punch-Drunk Love (need more extra features like a commentary track with PT and Adam Sandler)
Clerks (this might already be in the criterion collection)
Aronofsky Films
Infernal Affairs

OldWest

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 12:18:29 AM »
I feel like Criterion tries more to get films out there that are hard to see otherwise, or clean up ones in poor quality.  While there is the occasional beef up of already solidly exsisting DVDs, they are not all about the extra features.  Therefore, I wish that many of the above films mentioned would be released in more exstensive versions by their individual publishers.

Brian Z

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 09:20:58 PM »

Clerks (this might already be in the criterion collection)
Aronofsky Films

I don't know about these two. The 10 year anniversary disc of Clerks is massive. Two hour-plus making of, multiple commentary tracks and lots more, including various cuts of the movie. Also, Requiem'd DVD is pretty amazing too.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2007, 05:15:52 AM »
Clerks X is fantastic, check it out, it's essentially a Criterion style release by Miramax.

A 6-Hour cut of Thin Red Line?  I think that'd be great because all my problems with the film stem from the editing.  It feels paired down and the first time I saw it I had no idea what was going on.  So, yeah, 6 hour cut i'd watch it.

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2007, 07:30:06 PM »
Searching for Bobby Fischer

I haven't seen it in years, but I LOVED this movie when it came out.  I don't know if it stands up, or even deserves a criterion, but its current DVD release is lacking in features.