Author Topic: The Departed Is it Leo's Baby?  (Read 23139 times)

silverjman

• Bang Potential
Re: The Departed Is it Leo's Baby?
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 10:10:25 PM »
yeah the I forgot about Infernal Affairs, that could that's a good point.  I guess I just thought the she wouldn't seem so genuinely happy telling Matt Damon she was pregnant if it wasn't his.  The liar quip is also pretty telling if you want to go in that direction. 
The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind. - Humphrey Bogart
www.bangpotential.com

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 05:09:44 PM »
It feels like Scorcese is throwing in and wasting a lot of talent - Wahlberg and Sheen are totally not needed.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 06:41:18 PM »
It feels like Scorcese is throwing in and wasting a lot of talent - Wahlberg and Sheen are totally not needed.

I think of them as spices to the greater dish. If The Departed didn't have them, I wouldn't have liked it as much. Too bland of a taste.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 08:37:17 PM »

Do you mean the characters aren't needed or the actors?  As characters they're vital to the plot and as actors I thought they were fantastic.  Sheen is the perfect anti-Nicholson father-figure for Leo and Wahlberg is hilarious and totally deserving of the Oscar nomination.

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 07:24:50 AM »

I think of them as spices to the greater dish. If The Departed didn't have them, I wouldn't have liked it as much. Too bland of a taste.

Your food analogy is a great one, but you're COMPLETELY WRONG!. Like all good flavour combinations (apart from perhaps in Asian cooking - Infernal Affairs? Er, maybe the metaphor doesn't... anyway), it works best when you just have a few srtrong flavours, or you end up with something that has no real flavour to it at all - like the way you mix a vivid red, blue and yellow, but end up with a murky brown.

I'm one of the few who liked Jack's chilli pepper, but I have to admit that Leo's.... star anise? - won the day.

To be honest, they could have replaced Wahlberg with Sean Hayes from Will and Grace and nobody would have noticed the difference. Not a good addition to the pot.

(And Phil, I mean the actors were bad choices, not that the characters were not needed. )
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 07:29:10 AM by wowser »

Jeffshen123

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 07:26:48 PM »
I agree with the thought that the baby is leo's.  all my reasons have already been stated on here, and that was the natural first thought that came up each time i saw it.  i liked how it didnt force the viewers to that conclusion and left it up for us to decide.

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 02:38:26 PM »

Your food analogy is a great one, but you're COMPLETELY WRONG!. Like all good flavour combinations (apart from perhaps in Asian cooking - Infernal Affairs? Er, maybe the metaphor doesn't... anyway), it works best when you just have a few srtrong flavours, or you end up with something that has no real flavour to it at all - like the way you mix a vivid red, blue and yellow, but end up with a murky brown.

I'm one of the few who liked Jack's chilli pepper, but I have to admit that Leo's.... star anise? - won the day.

To be honest, they could have replaced Wahlberg with Sean Hayes from Will and Grace and nobody would have noticed the difference. Not a good addition to the pot.

(And Phil, I mean the actors were bad choices, not that the characters were not needed. )

dude, seriously... just don't talk anymore... your really embarassing yourself now.....

or maybe you were watching Planet of the Apes... because in the Departed, the version I saw, both Marky Mark's character, and Sheen's were important to the plot... I mean,... during the movie, everyone was scarred for Leo, because sheen and marky, were the only ones who were aware of his identity,... and when the building scene happened, and that fight in the office, you were like "oh shit" because now Leo was on his own.. with Damon closing in on him...

THEY WERE important characters, and Mark deserved the oscar nom... he was better then that pedophile grandpa in fat little sunshine too....
"This movie made me laugh so hard, I had mild headaches. So I went to the doctor to get checked out, I'm currently awaiting results"
-Gene Siskel

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 07:22:24 PM »
OK. But why was Wahlberg so campy?

I liked the Departed a lot, but mainly because all the songs worked beautifully

stephsmith

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 08:27:50 AM »
Watching it for the first time, the question of the paternity didn't even dawn on me. On the second viewing and after reading this thread, I think I've decided that it's a question left up to the view to decide for themselves. My husband was left with the feeling that Madelyn had an abortion and there was nothing to discuss with Sullivan at Billy's funeral. But there is something I do want to know. Is Frank's wife the same person as the young girl from the convenience store in the flashback scene?

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 08:34:43 AM »
I'm pretty sure we see that girl getting murdered on the beach a little later.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."