love

Author Topic: The Next, Next Marathon: Cult Films  (Read 8793 times)

konky2000

• pretentiously unpretentious
    • Aranworld
Re: The Next, Next Marathon: Cult Films
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 07:28:37 PM »
I agree about Vampyros Lesbos being horrible.  Vampyres and Daughters of Darkness, though both very flawed movies are, are much better films to watch in that genre.  Still, as terrible as it is, VL is still a cult film.

Is "psychotronic" a better term to use?  The trouble with "cult" is that it suggests that any movie that has a rabid following could be in the category.  Is Sound of Music a cult film just because people occassionally fill up movie theaters and do sing-along viewings of the film?  It is debatable.

Sound of Music most certainly is NOT a psychotronic film, however.  But Braindead, Evil Dead, Vampyres, Flesh Gordon and Female Trouble ARE psychotronic. 

Anyways, I have seen this debate about cult films occassionally crop up and usually it is resolved by switching to the "psychotronic" terminology because that seems to do the trick of preventing mainstream films from sneaking into the list of "cult" films.
Do you need me to make you a mix tape? - James Ford

lbenschwartz

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 07:46:16 PM »
You can't talk about cult movies without mentioning Pink Flamingos. It defines the genre. That, and Rocky Horror Picture Show are the Birth of a Nation and Citizen Kane of cult movies.

A few other gems are

The Warriors
Revenge of the Killer Tomatoes
Phantom of the Paradise (weird DePalma gem)
Death Race 2000, Boy and His Dog, Repo Man
Suburbia (originally early eighties; not Linkletter)
Liquid Sky
Heavy Metal

Every one as good Laser Floyd, a bong, and a Friday night in Albuquerque.

Osprey

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2007, 07:59:49 PM »
If you define cult films as one where the mainstream film goer doesn't give two hoots about a film, but there's a large population of people dedicated to the movie, then the biggest cult movie of the last 10 years is Rounders.  I doubt most people know anything about this film, but lots of people started playing poker because of this movie.  If I sit down at a poker table, I still expect at least 1 or 2 of the twenty or thirty year old guys to be able to quote from this movie verbatim.

alexander

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2007, 11:54:58 PM »
ugh.  you guys mentioned terrible movies.
Meet the Feebles is dreadful.  I remember we played with this band Mastodon a lot a few years ago (they were nominated for a grammy this year, things change) and their drummer KEPT bugging me at 3 in the morning, "go get 'meet the feebles' from your van.  oh man, you have to see 'meet the feebles'".  We had a vhs dub in the van which I refused to get. I would not watch that movie again.  especially with 3 beyond drunk mastodons and their number stoned out of his mind fan.

anyway, I nominate, as always   The Forbidden Zone.

City of the Living Dead is kind of a tedious watch but relatively quality.  Great ending.  I don't know if it is cult as much as just straight Fulci.  Same with any Jodoworsky film. 

konky2000

• Aranworld
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2007, 01:33:57 PM »
I think I have a good litmus test for a proper cult film. 

Could you ever imagine it getting shown on an airplane?  If, yes, then I don't think it can be considered a cult film.

Rounders and Big Lebowski are two films that could easily be edited into airplane friendly films. 

There is absolutely no way, however, that you could edit something like Pink Flamingos to ever be friendly for such a viewing.  Even Rocky Horror Picture Show, which doesn't have anything totally disgusting, would never make it onto an airplane, simply because it is so completely bizarre.

Just because a lot of people know all the lines, doesn't make it cult.  In addition, there needs to be an element of outrageousness about the film. 

Katebo

• Elite Member
  • Shiny!
    • Sound on Sight TV
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007, 03:41:39 PM »
Speaking of outrageousness, I'm just gonna pop in here and re-recommend Cannibal! The Musical for this. I'm not sure it actually qualifies as a must see or most popular/influential of the cult subcategory, but this is the only marathon I could see it possibly fitting in to, and I'm all for anyone seeing this film, as I think it's hysterical.

konky2000

• Aranworld
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2007, 08:04:22 PM »
Cannibal: The Musical has just been added to my movie watching list.  Thanks (?) for the recommendation!

kadajawi

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2007, 05:02:22 PM »
What about Midnight Movies?

Stuff like Erazerhead, Rocky Horror Picture Show, El Topo, Pink Flamingos, ... haven't seen the latter two though. Or maybe even Cannibal Holocaust?

Oh, and please, Tetsuo. It isn't even time consuming, with little over 60 minutes.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 05:12:47 PM by kadajawi »

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2007, 08:31:27 PM »
I stand by my recommendation of Meet the Feebles, and I happen to LOVE it.  But, Cannibal Holocaust?  Yeah, it's a cult movie (I guess), but it's also one of the sickest things I have ever seen (check the "Most Disturbing Movie..." thread) and I wouldn't want Adam and Sam (or anyone else really) to be subjected to that... I still have nightmares about some of the crap in that movie.

Jonnyboy117

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2007, 09:46:43 PM »
I think of cult films as being those that people watch over and over, as much for the experience of watching them as for the films themselves, if that makes any sense.  This could apply to the theater OR at home.  (Under this definition, The Big Lebowski would qualify, but not for this marathon because I'm sure Sam and Adam have already seen it.)  Aside from Rocky Horror, another great cult film by this definition is Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii, which has the added benefit of being the first great concert film and just a brilliant documentary.  I haven't seen it, but I think Reefer Madness would work, too?

love