Author Topic: So what's your day job?  (Read 33864 times)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
Re: So what's your day job?
« Reply #280 on: April 24, 2020, 11:45:01 AM »
I had a dream last night where 1SO called me out of the blue about the state of the forums and we talked about you being the board moderator. It was very weird. Also have no idea how 1SO got my number.
Gave up the Facebook so I find I have a lot of time, so here I am.
Plus the interactions here are more authentic.

What did you guys decide in your dream?
Hey, nice marmot!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #281 on: April 24, 2020, 01:02:12 PM »
I will call you with our answer later today.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #282 on: April 24, 2020, 01:32:35 PM »
I will call you with our answer later today.

Perfect!
Surprisingly, my day is open...
Hey, nice marmot!

etdoesgood

• Elite Member
  • This is the rhythm of my life, my life, oh yeah
« Reply #283 on: April 24, 2020, 09:35:55 PM »
I moved schools in our district and am teaching 3rd grade next year. I'm excited, I'll probably have a class of like 24-28, and I'll have them all day so I can create the family atmosphere that I love to work in. Likely going to get a beginner softball program going over there, too, and get in one of the local leagues. I sincerely hope we start the year normally, so long as it's safe. Classes start the first week of August. Can't believe next year is my 15th.
A desert person.

Simple Distinctions:
The Best  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  | Bad

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Anime is for jerks."
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #284 on: October 12, 2020, 09:43:12 AM »
Oh man, I just realized so much job stuff has happened since I last posted here.

At the end of March, I started this job proctoring online exams via webcam for this startup company that was exploding due to COVID and the fact all these tests had to be proctored online. It was good money and then they stepped me up to working in the mornings for European customers and paid me even more money and gave me a lot of hours. But boy did waking up at 2 am every morning kill me. Eventually, it was unsustainable and I started getting sick a lot until my boss lost it when I told him I was sick one morning, cussed me out, and then fired me via chat. It was wild.

The good news is that when I applied for unemployment I got it and that helped me as I looked for the next gig. The next gig dropped right in my lap which was working contract computer repair for a third-party company that repairs Dell computers. I was in talks with them right before quarantine happened and had done all the paperwork but the job got canceled right as I was about to start. Well, now that things had calmed down in my area some, they decided to start back up and it gave me something to do for a while. The work was come and go. Some weeks I'd have a decent number of jobs, others not so much. In any case, between unemployment and contract work I was doing okay.

Mid-September I got offered a job doing tech support calls for video intercom systems and I took it. More consistent hours (25 a week) and pay and so far I'm enjoying it. The calls haven't been too challenging so far and some of the systems are closely related to what I'm trying to learn with Network+ so I'm very close to working on the kind of stuff I'd like to do more long-term. Also, I don't have to venture out into the world to do jobs. I was thinking about also keeping the contract job and doing it in the afternoon but after a month of no new jobs, I decided to resign from there and just focus on this.

I still plan on getting the Network+ cert and I would like to finish that Kiarostami book at some point but the wind got taken out of my sails with the Kiarostami book once COVID happened and I had a big stack of books I needed to ILL. I should probably get back to it, but I've got an idea of what the rest of the year looks like and I think I'll try to pick up the Kiarostami book in 2021.

I did start a Patreon for my site which I haven't talked about here but it happened right before I got offered the job and since the job pays me more immediately I've been putting more energy into that. I want to start working on the site again soon and plan to try to get some writing done and then hopefully push more with the Patreon then.
"It's all research." -roujin

etdoesgood

• Elite Member
  • This is the rhythm of my life, my life, oh yeah
« Reply #285 on: October 12, 2020, 11:29:58 PM »
You have another patreon, sir! Can't wait to read some of the previous posts and see what you do!
A desert person.

Simple Distinctions:
The Best  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  | Bad

love