Author Topic: So what's your day job?  (Read 53866 times)

choatime

Re: So what's your day job?
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 12:07:56 AM »
computational biophysical chemist

No Way! Me too.  ;D

Who isn't a computation biophysical chemist these days?

There are more of us then you think!  ;D It isn't something I usually divulge though, I get a lot of blank stares followed by excuses to walk away.  It isn't all that bad... you draw intersecting circles for all the sciences and the stuff I do falls into the little tiny area where they all intersect. The work is fun, trying to decide what to name it is more difficult.

I'll take some of those blank stares off of your shoulders.  I'm an applied mathematician who studies liquid crystal rheology.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 12:08:42 AM »
I'll take some of those blank stares off of your shoulders.  I'm an applied mathematician who studies liquid crystal rheology.

Again, who isn't?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 01:09:39 AM »

Very cool. My parents were/are both mathematicians and I love the subject. I've seen some cool talks on fluid dynamics, but I only understood half of it. :)
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 09:55:34 AM »
There are more of us then you think!  ;D It isn't something I usually divulge though, I get a lot of blank stares followed by excuses to walk away.  It isn't all that bad... you draw intersecting circles for all the sciences and the stuff I do falls into the little tiny area where they all intersect. The work is fun, trying to decide what to name it is more difficult.
Lise, Frank clued me into a blog that I've been really enjoying lately.  You might enjoy it as well.  The Venn diagram you describe makes me think you'd like her/his humor.

crashd

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 12:01:16 PM »
I work in the crazy, crazy world of Digital Intermediate for feature films O_o

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 12:01:26 PM »
  I'm a departmental manager for the Automotive Resale division of Cox Enterprises - in layman's terms - I run a detail shop at an Auto Auction.
Hey, nice marmot!

sodajerk

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 12:28:30 PM »
I'm a grad student in film music composition. I'm also a percussionist and music educator, though I'm not actively involved in that right now. You can hear some of my stuff here:

http://web.mac.com/caucci/iWeb/Beth%20Caucci/Podcast/Podcast.html

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2007, 02:58:33 PM »
I'm an erotic masseur...I mean an architect.

m_rturnage

• FAB
  • Elite Member
  • Beauty hurts.
    • Too Much Time on My Hands
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2007, 03:37:12 PM »
I'm an erotic masseur...I mean an architect.

So... you work with your hands?

-RT
http://www.26screenplays.com - Short screenplays for independent filmmakers.

You light a man a fire, and he's warm for a night. You light a man ON fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2007, 04:29:15 PM »
Lise, Frank clued me into a blog that I've been really enjoying lately.  You might enjoy it as well.  The Venn diagram you describe makes me think you'd like her/his humor.

I like the blog. Thanks for the heads up! The girl trap one was a bit too on the mark for me ;)
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.