love

Author Topic: So what's your day job?  (Read 53857 times)

lise

• Elite Member
Re: So what's your day job?
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2007, 03:58:02 PM »
are you starting a post-doc or going into industry?
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

choatime

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2007, 04:17:36 PM »
Academia is where I feel at home, but I haven't quite found a home for the fall yet.  I interviewed for a post-doc on Monday, and they told me they'd make a decision by the end of next week.

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2007, 04:34:01 PM »
I lucked out when it came to my post-doc... it is a nice lab with a lot of cool work going on. We've got 2 people going into asst. prof. jobs for fall, so I figure I should be able to get a job in academia when the time comes. I just hate the lack of funding opportunities at the moment. I hope you get the post-doc. Oh and take a vacation!!!
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

choatime

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2007, 04:53:38 PM »
I hope you get the post-doc. Oh and take a vacation!!!

Thanks.  I really look forward to my biggest problem being which vacation to take.

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2007, 01:57:20 AM »
When I finished graduate school I didn't know what to do with myself.  In school, I was so busy reading and writing that I forgot what a hobby was. I didn't read a book for strict pleasure the entire two years I was in school. I sat down on my couch and thought, "What is it that people do with their time?" It was scary to have a little freedom, but then I realized I finally had time to read The Lord of the Rings and I felt better.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

rie

• looseframing
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2007, 11:51:23 AM »

Last week, I finished my dissertation, and it should have more details.  Basically, the (nematic) liquid crystal part means that a substance is made of a bunch of rod-shaped molecules (disolved in something like water) that have no positional ordering and so they are free to flow like a liquid.  However, these molecules do have an orientational ordering where they're roughly all pointing in the same direction as their neighbos.  You can control this orientation with a magnetic field.  This is how a liquid-crystal display works; orient them in one direction and light passes through, but orient them in a different direction and light can't pass through.  Instead of a magnetic field, however, I study the properties of flows of these liquid crystals.  That's the rheology part, the study of flowing things, the measurement and prediction of viscosity, and stuff like that.

wow, ok.  i get it (barely).  so what will you do with this now?  what are the applications of all this?  (aside from liquid-crystal displays)

big congrats on getting your diss finished!!

Unfortunately, college writing teachers have been in the news for all the wrong reasons this week.  Do you think there will be efforts to turn writing classes into a systematic tool to identify potentially "troubled" students?

yoikes -- i can't imagine having to evaluate my students' mental and emotional states on that kind of level based on what they write for me... i would hope colleges would understand that it's going to take a lot more than scrutinizing student writing to find the kids with real issues -- one piece (or even a series) of dark and violent and disturbed writing does not a psycho-killer make.
I would hurl words into this darkness and wait for an echo, and if an echo sounded, no matter how faintly, I would send other words to tell, to march, to fight, to create a sense of the hunger for life that gnaws in us all.

Richard Wright

sodajerk

« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2007, 03:31:25 AM »
yoikes -- i can't imagine having to evaluate my students' mental and emotional states on that kind of level based on what they write for me... i would hope colleges would understand that it's going to take a lot more than scrutinizing student writing to find the kids with real issues -- one piece (or even a series) of dark and violent and disturbed writing does not a psycho-killer make.

I agree with you, and so does this guy.

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2007, 11:11:55 AM »
I don't really have one. I do some freelance shooting and editing (much more editing), but I'm currently preparing to move to Philadelphia and need to find a job there, asap.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

rie

• looseframing
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2007, 11:54:40 AM »

I agree with you, and so does this guy.

thanks for that link.  i was wondering if he'd show up to comment on this issue at all -- or any number of other professional horror/gore/fright writers.

what this whole situation shows us is how nigh impossible it is to do anything about a college student in these matters -- systems aren't in place that allow key people to talk to one another about this (cops -- local and campus; parents; teachers; RAs; school and other mental health personnel), and we cannot force an "adult" to go to counseling or take any other action if we think something is wrong.

i certainly don't want any one of those groups of people to have the ability individually to get a student committed, and i have issues with the idea of some huge database on everyone, noting each of their potentially "unsettling" moments -- but as a community, i wish there were more options for working with/for students like cho.

for instance, there's all this debate about whether or not cho's record of mental issues should have disqualified him from being able to obtaining a gun.  there's a discrepancy between how the state views his record, and how the feds do, and how each might have handled his wanting top buy guns -- and it sounds like there's no communication between the two levels.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 11:57:31 AM by rie »
I would hurl words into this darkness and wait for an echo, and if an echo sounded, no matter how faintly, I would send other words to tell, to march, to fight, to create a sense of the hunger for life that gnaws in us all.

Richard Wright

Bucho

• Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women.
    • South Pacific Ben on YouTube
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2007, 09:33:27 PM »
I'm a very good builder. If you don't believe me, ask my mum.
"I'm a star, I'm a star, I'm a star ... I am a big bright shining star."

love