Author Topic: So what's your day job?  (Read 53877 times)

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: So what's your day job?
« Reply #250 on: September 04, 2015, 03:20:28 PM »
I'm a dentist in Minnesota. Business has been bad lately, for some reason.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #251 on: September 04, 2015, 06:32:00 PM »

My dentist has been getting rich on my lately.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #252 on: October 31, 2015, 12:19:16 AM »
I work as a pastor among the homeless and mentally ill.  And I write.  Not for anyone in particular, mind you, but I do post blogs.  A lot.  And I run and live in a community house.  And I organize meals, and stuff.  You get the idea.

But "job"?  Jobs are for people who get paid.

So about four years ago I became manager of a three acre property on which our homeless church and three other churches meet.  I just quit that job.  Now I'm working half time, seeing if I can actually make a little bit of money writing, instead of just doing it all for free.  I have my doubts.

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #253 on: October 31, 2015, 03:29:39 PM »
Will you still be in charge of the gardens? Or, will you work there on occasion? You're very good at it. :)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #254 on: October 31, 2015, 03:36:22 PM »
I've learned to love the gardens, but really it's my co-pastor Jeff who's really good at them.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #255 on: December 04, 2018, 07:26:21 PM »
i run a sales operations team for Asia Pacific, basically, forecast sales revenue, sales reporting, sales training on sales tools, and sales compensation.  i do a lot of shit involving sales other than actually doing sales.

Just saw this old thread so thought I would look back. Soon after this, I moved out of management to represent the region on a few major business transformation projects for Asia. That sort of removed me from a role, so I moved to UK to do that same as their schedule was 1 year later. Then about 9 months of unemployment.

Then back to managing a Sales & Marketing Operations team for APJ (Asia Pacific minus China) in a different company in a different market. Similar to early roll but in a much different field.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #256 on: December 04, 2018, 08:48:34 PM »

I'm pretty sure this was a Cecil the Lion joke.

I've moved from paralegal student to paralegal. Thus far my noble ambitious of helping poor people with my skills is not in effect. I'm still on the side of the relatively little guy in that we frequently are suing huge corporate builders, but our clients are associations of people who often own quite nice homes, which makes them on the upper half at least. It is more lucrative to get me economically stabilized a bit after a spell of underemployment and gets me experience so the move to more public service type work could still come.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #257 on: December 05, 2018, 09:05:38 AM »
I got laid off this morning.

I've had a pretty amazing life since meeting Carrie.  It's been nothing but good luck and great times.  Sooner or later something was gonna kick me in the ass.

I think Carrie is my good luck charm, because it's only two weeks later and I've got another job (my last job search took 6 months).  A guy I worked for at a previous gig is now the CIO of this big direct marketing company.  He's already hired three other guys from the old place, and when he found out I was looking he offered me a job.  So I met with them all this morning and overall it seems like a good situation.  The job is Data Processor, but it does involve some programming which is what I've been doing for the past 15 years.  So it's a little bit of a pay cut for me but there may be some room for growth.  At any rate, I think the job is a good match for my skills and my work style.  And it's really nice to work with people you already know you can get along with.

Hah, it's funny to look back at this post. That job was absolutely horrible, total shitshow. I was there six months and now I'm a programmer at the Oregon Liquor Control Commission (not coincidentally, working with two of the other people from the old job who followed the CIO to the marketing company and then bailed). Been here nearly three years now and you couldn't drag me away. I'd always wanted to work in government, with the benefits, job security, and a feeling that I'm contributing something to society. It's not a perfect job (everything you hear about government inefficiency is true) but I'm super comfortable here. This is the job I intend to retire on.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #258 on: December 05, 2018, 09:20:39 AM »
Glad you're loving the new(ish) job, Martin!

Benefits and job security are completely foreign to me. I just wrapped a new Netflix docu-series called JAILBIRDS. It turned out really well. Won't be streaming until next summer. About to start another Netflix doc called DIAGNOSIS, based on the New York Times column. I hear the office is intense, but it's with some people I really enjoy working with.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #259 on: December 05, 2018, 07:03:52 PM »
I work as a pastor among the homeless and mentally ill.  And I write.  Not for anyone in particular, mind you, but I do post blogs.  A lot.  And I run and live in a community house.  And I organize meals, and stuff.  You get the idea.

But "job"?  Jobs are for people who get paid.

So about four years ago I became manager of a three acre property on which our homeless church and three other churches meet.  I just quit that job.  Now I'm working half time, seeing if I can actually make a little bit of money writing, instead of just doing it all for free.  I have my doubts.

A lot has happened in the last three years.  I un-quit.  Then I got forced out of the city I worked for 20 years.  Then I was threatened by the city of Portland this year.  Advocating for the homeless can be fun.

I am a month and a half away from moving to Eugene, Oregon, where I am pastoring a small but very community-active church there.  I am still serving houseless folks, but in a much more quiet way.  I'm biding my time.

Sandy, the property I was working on got sold and the new church tore all the gardens up, including all the fruit and memorial trees we planted.

love