Author Topic: What Movie is Playing Right Now (2007-2010)  (Read 1057232 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
Re: What Movie is Playing Right Now
« Reply #15840 on: April 11, 2010, 09:43:39 PM »
 ;D

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #15841 on: April 11, 2010, 10:00:50 PM »
Scarface is great if you watch it right.
Mystery Science Theater style?
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #15842 on: April 11, 2010, 10:29:40 PM »

As a melodrama/satirical comedy about the excess of the 80's, and not some realistic gangster drama. It's the one film (JFK aside) where Stone's tendency for gratuitousness pays off (though it being De Palma's film certainly helps). Think of it as Douglas Sirk goes Cuban gangster.

Too bad so many people put the poster on the wall and treat Montana as some sort of icon, and in turn, hurt a genuinely terrific picture's reputation.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #15843 on: April 11, 2010, 10:33:39 PM »

As a melodrama/satirical comedy about the excess of the 80's, and not some realistic gangster drama. It's the one film (JFK aside) where Stone's tendency for gratuitousness pays off (though it being De Palma's film certainly helps). Think of it as Douglas Sirk goes Cuban gangster.

Too bad so many people put the poster on the wall and treat Montana as some sort of icon, and in turn, hurt a genuinely terrific picture's reputation.

Ugh, no matter how you decide to take it, Scarface is a terrible film, the film that turned me off of De Palma for good actually.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
« Reply #15844 on: April 11, 2010, 10:36:53 PM »

Ugh, no matter how you decide to take it, Scarface is a terrible film, the film that turned me off of De Palma for good actually.

Why do you think it's a terrible film? I've said why I like the picture.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #15845 on: April 11, 2010, 10:39:26 PM »

I can't stand the excess of it all, and I don't follow your interpretation of said excess. From Pacino's awful hammy acting to De Palma's forceful direction, it's far too long of a film that hits you over the head again and again with this idea of excess that it gets across in the first five minutes.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
« Reply #15846 on: April 11, 2010, 10:47:53 PM »

I can't stand the excess of it all, and I don't follow your interpretation of said excess. From Pacino's awful hammy acting to De Palma's forceful direction, it's far too long of a film that hits you over the head again and again with this idea of excess that it gets across in the first five minutes.

Dude, it's about the 80's, of course it's about excess. That's why, to my mind anyway, the over-the-topness of it all works so well for it.

Brings to mind a quote from Martin Scorsese to Steven Bauer about the film: "You guys are great-but be prepared, they're gonna hate it in Hollywood, because it's about them."

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #15847 on: April 12, 2010, 02:13:33 PM »

Jealous.  That and Ikiru are the next films for me to watch by directors I love.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #15848 on: April 12, 2010, 02:29:14 PM »
That didn't end up happening last night, but tonight for sure. :)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #15849 on: April 12, 2010, 03:54:56 PM »

I thought I could just watch this and walk away but I was gravely mistake. People must be warned.