Author Topic: What Movie is Playing Right Now (2007-2010)  (Read 1057022 times)

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: What Movie is Playing Right Now
« Reply #16000 on: April 21, 2010, 01:18:17 AM »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #16001 on: April 21, 2010, 11:07:54 AM »

Aww, I was just kidding, of course Grant can stay. Also, I'm pretty sure that Irene Dunne says 'Night' in every film she's in.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #16002 on: April 21, 2010, 12:42:37 PM »
Haxan.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #16003 on: April 21, 2010, 02:57:53 PM »

It's pretty good so far (30 minutes in), but MY GOD are the subtitles ever fast!!! I have never had a problem keeping up with subtitles before but these ones move at an absolutely blistering pace. At times I can't even get halfway through the sentence before it's on to the next line. It's becoming a problem as far as just making sense of things is concerned. What's more, there is hard to pronounce names and places spoken in almost every line, as if it weren't already hard enough. Also, I'm concentrating so hard on just reading the subtitles before they disappear that I'm missing all the beautiful detail. Heck, I'm getting characters confused (because a few of them look alike).

Ugh, this is tough. I'm getting all lost and have to keep rewinding. I dunno what to do. I'll struggle on I guess because I'm intrigued. :-\

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #16004 on: April 21, 2010, 03:52:52 PM »
Okay, now it's just getting ridicules.

She's saying her husband has not played the qin in a long time. Then he says he too has not been so "enervated" for a long time. It doesn't even make sense! If her husband has not played the qin in a long time then HE is the one who is "enervated". Why would Mr. Zhu-ge respond that he too has NOT been so "enervated" for a long time? It's the complete opposite, and it suggest that playing the the qin is an enervating experience which is not at all what the scene is really trying to say.

And what in god's name is a subtitlist doing using words like 'enervate' anyways? Who is this hot shot translator? What the heck does 'enervate' even mean exactly? I had to stop and pull out the dictionary to translate the translation! Why not say 'drained' or something. Good grief.

Two strikes Red Cliff. Two strikes.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #16005 on: April 21, 2010, 03:54:40 PM »

She's saying her husband has not played the qin in a long time. Then he says he too has not been so "enervated" for a long time. It doesn't even make sense! If her husband has not played the qin in a long time then HE is the one who is "enervated". Why would Mr. Zhu-ge respond that he too has NOT been so "enervated" for a long time? It's the complete opposite, and it suggest that playing the the qin is an enervating experience which is not at all what the scene is really trying to say.

And what in god's name is a subtitlist doing using words like 'enervate' anyways? Who is this hot shot translator? What the heck does 'enervate' even mean exactly? I had to stop and pull out the dictionary to translate the translation! Why not say 'drained' or something. Good grief.

Ok, I was lost at "qin"
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #16006 on: April 21, 2010, 03:56:46 PM »
Why are there Chinese symbols above the English subtitles? Do I want to know what version you are watching there?
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #16007 on: April 21, 2010, 04:01:11 PM »

Ok, I was lost at "qin"

Qin, I gather, is shorthand or something for guqin. One of these things.

Why are there Chinese symbols above the English subtitles? Do I want to know what version you are watching there?
No, probably not. :)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #16008 on: April 21, 2010, 04:32:05 PM »

With an English title like Magnet of Doom, it's gotta be good!

Also, color!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #16009 on: April 21, 2010, 06:36:03 PM »
I'm expecting this to suck cuz A.O. Scott loves it: