Author Topic: The Matador  (Read 3423 times)

Moviebuff28

• Elite Member
The Matador
« on: March 26, 2007, 04:20:40 PM »
I am not sure if this qualifies as overlooked because it did come out in 2005 and do decent business at the box office.  Pierce Brosnan also got a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor in a Comedy/Musical.  But I think this movie still qualifies.  The Matador is a Comedy about a hitman (Pierce Brosnan) going through a  mid-life crisis.  He meets a salesman (Greg Kinnear) who is also going through a mid-life crisis. They bond in Mexico and a year later the hitman shows up at the salesman's house.  This is Pierce Brosnan's best performance.  We get to see why he is such a great actor outside of the Bond series.  He is hilarious and play completely against type.  Instead of being suave and above it he is the opposite.  In fact he is the anti-bond.

insung

Re: The Matador
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 12:47:34 PM »
I loved this movie as well. Greg Kinnear was also great as Brosnan's foil.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 11:00:45 PM »
I found it pretty preposterous but entertaining. I'd recommend it.

ARGH. Doesn't this forum have spoiler tags?????????????????????????  ??? ??? ???

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 12:10:12 PM »
ARGH. Doesn't this forum have spoiler tags?????????????????????????  ??? ??? ???

Do you mean this?

Here you go.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

JoshuaOst

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 07:58:40 PM »
Was totally committed to this film at the beginning and then it just lost its steam after that.  Pretty good film, though.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 06:10:48 PM »
Not a fan.
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

MovieMaven

• It's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 12:26:27 AM »
Was a huge fan of this film, wasn't expecting much but got a huge surprise. Definately something to pop in on a slow evening.
I don't know, I'm making this up as I go.

mjpmvp11

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 11:15:14 PM »
I love this film and actually went looking for it when it was released and purchased it immediately on DVD when it became available. Kinnear and Brosnan were great together in this film. I believe it does qualify as an overlooked film. Loved it!

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 04:38:34 AM »
I think it's a ton of fun. Dark at the right places, sad and twisted but still very funny. It's criminally overlooked. I'm surprises about the many "meh" this movie gets (not just in the forums).
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 11:48:47 AM »
Love this movie. Beautiful deconstruction of both Brosnan's and Kinnear's characher types, and a surprisingly moving film as well. Probably would have made my top 10 of that year.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

love