Author Topic: F For Fake (1974)  (Read 3597 times)

fransisco4

Re: F For Fake (1974)
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 09:14:30 PM »
Some pretty messy thoughts I wrote for the List of Shame thread:

It reminded me of Exit Through the Gift Shop, a film I have to say  I enjoyed more. Not having some previous knowledge really made me confused for part of the movie. At first I thought they were discussing the existance of a character named Howard Hughes, not wether or not it was the real one. Scorcese's movie and that Simpsons episode came to mind much later. Welles does bring up a few interesting point about authorship and experts. The Picasso section was interesting, specially when he "stalks" Oja, some funny editing there. I really enjoyed the entirety of the last section, it's a shame that... well, you know. Guess I should've known that Welles wouldn't be mistaken about his own movie length. Also, Welles looks pretty well in the black overcoat.

Ryecatcher

• Frosted Flakes aren't that great.
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 09:43:53 PM »
Can a film with a Criterion Collection edition really be classified as  overlooked?

I love this one. Orson Welles was a freaking genius, and aside from Touch of Evil, this one is my favorite by him (and yes, you can call me sacrilegious but I am putting it ahead of Citizen Kane). 
Diane, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Stay gold.
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 10:17:14 PM »
Can a film with a Criterion Collection edition really be classified as  overlooked?

Yup.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 10:26:50 PM »
It can, but that is not always the case.

ZBetonte

• Film Jive
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 07:55:01 PM »

I love this one. Orson Welles was a freaking genius, and aside from Touch of Evil, this one is my favorite by him (and yes, you can call me sacrilegious but I am putting it ahead of Citizen Kane).

Anything by Rainer Werner Fassbinder is horribly overlooked, even thought several of them are in the collection. I think a lot of the titles fall into obscurity over time, especially the earlier releases.

I love "F for Fake" and perhaps my favorite scene in any of Welles' filmography comes when he visits Chartres Cathedral. That moment is so poetic and beautiful that, in many ways, sees Welles metaphorically speaking about his own career. Everything about that scene is perfect; the narration, the time of day, the low camera angles, etc. There's a profound honesty in the film that's unmatched by any other Welles film.