Author Topic: Film Noir Marathon - Lineup  (Read 11939 times)

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
Re: Film Noir Marathon - Lineup
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2007, 01:25:23 PM »
Besides, without someone like me to question these Grand Institutions, who would you have to rub up against?  Who would be your foil against which you can reaffirm your own joy?

Sam.  ;)
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2007, 01:35:11 PM »
Fine, I'll give you peeps one more positive, one more way that this marathon changed me.

You know how you guys LOVE talking about Top 5 BA's?  You know how I've always been all, "Who wants to celebrate a guy being a BA?"  And then I've been all, "Seriously guys, stop talking about BAs; I'm really getting sick of it."

Robert Mitchum was a BA in Out of the Past.  And I loved every minute of it.

There.  Happy?

Sam.  ;)
What's your precious Sam done for you lately?  Does he attend these boards ever?  He can never love you like I can!!  I WILL NOT BE IGNORED!!!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 01:58:59 PM by alexarch »

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2007, 03:23:11 AM »
When Norma Desmond goes apeshit in Sunset Boulevard, I realize I'm supposed to be skeeved.  Audiences probably were back then.  I just can't help laughing a her crazy eyes and over-acting.

I think this is just a fundamental difference in the way we watch movies.  I've never had a problem with the various acting styles throughout history.  Even a bad performance I can look past if I'm into the story and other film elements.

Free yourself from the tyranny of the Method!
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

ichiro

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2007, 10:34:48 AM »
As regard to the acting styles, I totally agree, you have to accept it within its time.  Modern acting, even Brando 1950s acting, wouldnt work in noir, or in 1930s performance styles.

With regard to history of film in general, I was slightly averse to watching films from like the 30s to the 60s, as most people who are young today are, until I wanted to learn more about film history and delved backwards.  Now, I no longer have any problems, enjoy the acting, and can appreciate stylistic as well as acting differences fairly well. I just think its getting used to the movies again, which is what these marathons help do.