Author Topic: Wild at Heart!  (Read 5781 times)

Keith

• http://home.earthlink.net/~kphump
Wild at Heart!
« on: July 02, 2005, 04:27:46 PM »
David Lynch is a God. Everytime I watch this film I find something new. Lynch is like an Impressionist painter with film. Some of Nick Cage's best work.

Pulpfictionfanatic

Wild at Heart!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 05:49:45 PM »
decent, but laughable compared to Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, and especially Blue Velvet

alexander

Wild at Heart!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 09:30:48 AM »
another film that was massively disappointing and seems dated whereas Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, and Elephant Man (films before this!) don't seem dated.  I don't know how, of all of his films, this won the Palme d'Or.  He just seems to be pushing it too hard.  Oddly, I prefer the Twin Peaks movie over this for reasons myriad.  I don't know if it is overlooked.

Tenenbaums

• Ashvegas
Re: Wild at Heart!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 06:00:23 PM »
Did anyone else think that Willem Dafoe was channeling Bobby Peru when he voiced Rat in Fantastic Mr. Fox?

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 11:15:24 PM »
This is one of my favorite Lynch films ive seen. I like when he goes the humor route.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 11:28:40 PM by Alan Smithee »

Dellamorte Dellamore

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 02:45:23 PM »
David Lynch is my favorite director.  Out of all of his films... this is my least favorite.  I honestly did not like this.  David Lynch frequently delves into the surreal but it has always been some sort of allegory or a mask over the underlying cold realities he's trying to portray.  This film just seemed like nothing representing nothing with Nicholas Cage doing a lot of high-kicks.  I think this is rightfully overlooked.

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 12:27:08 AM »
I think i liked it because it's probably his most humorous film.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 04:04:29 PM »
One of Lynch's most divisive films.  It has some very ardent supporters.  As for myself, not a fan.  I find it terribly forced, especially all the Wizard of Oz references.  And all the random depravity gets really overbearing.  It's my least favorite Lynch, not including shorts (still haven't seen Dune or FWWM).

Dellamorte Dellamore

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 10:02:57 AM »
I <3 Dune honestly even though Lynch denounces it.  Classic Sci-Fi and 1000x better than the god-awful mini series. 

FWWM I'm unable to think of as a standalone work.  It's wildly different from the TV series but I like to think of that whole body of Twin Peaks work as a giant 36 hour film that I personally collectively judge as his greatest work.

Wild at Heart does feel very forced.  I found the Wizard of Oz connections made me physically cringe at how awfully misplaced and damaging they were to the film.  I think this film definitely helped Lynch find direction a lot in terms of discovering how to convey messages through allegory, but unfortunately it was via failure.

harveyzissou

• go team zissou!
    • Harvey's: Diary of a Movie Geek
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 11:43:23 PM »
i heart the wild at heart. but still prefer mulholland drive (which isn't overlooked).
nick cage is also very awesome in moonstruck--which could be overlooked, but i think it has an oscar (screenplay).
cheers.