Author Topic: Filmspotter Marathon - Bergman - Wild Strawberries (spoilers!!!)  (Read 11764 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Re: Filmspotter Marathon - Bergman - Wild Strawberries (spoilers!!!)
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2007, 05:27:34 PM »

They are also one of the most Swedish things you can imagine. Like you Americans feel about apple pie :)

Eller som Svenskorna känner om brännvin?  Det är bra att ha et riktigt Svenska när vi prattar om Bergman.  Jag är bara ett Amerikansk som har ett Svensk-Amerikansk flickvän.  Jag vete bara lite gran om Sverige och Svenskorna.  Jag har aldrig smakat smultron, men jag har ätit surströmming.

[translation: Ingemar Bergman sure is funny in the original language?  Too bad the translations make it seem like his movies are all dramas.]

What's funny about WS?
Texan Down Under

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2007, 11:51:18 PM »
Scenes From A Marriage is pretty long, isn't it?

The relation between long and slow in film is interesting to me.  Hou makes short films with long takes that move slow, Bay makes long films with short takes that move fast.  Bergman and Bresson make short films with average length takes that move slow and make the film seem long.  Tarkovsky and Tarr make long films with long takes that move slow.  etc.

Please don't speak of Michael Bay when you are discussing Bergman, Bresson and Tarkovsky.

(i'm just giving you a hard time) ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 02:04:13 AM by chesterfilms »
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2007, 01:58:31 AM »
An auteur is an auteur.   ;)
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2007, 02:04:50 AM »
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

konky2000

• pretentiously unpretentious
    • Aranworld
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2007, 10:47:02 AM »
Bergman and Bresson make short films with average length takes that move slow and make the film seem long.

I think it will be interesting to watch as Bergman's takes get longer and longer and he gets closer and closer to the faces of his actors.  Scenes from a marriage is perhaps the extreme example, but Fanny and Alexander, in its longer cut, features some incredibly long monologues filmed with a tight shot on the actor's face.  I'm not really sure when he started doing the close ups, but it will be interesting to see when he starts making that a signature of his directing style ... or is it a signature of Nykvist's cinematography style?

[Also, that bit about Bergman being funny in the original language was a joke.  ;)]
Do you need me to make you a mix tape? - James Ford

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2007, 01:36:26 PM »
There's lots of closeups in Persona. . . But I haven't seen those later two movies, I didn't even know his takes got longer.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2007, 10:20:54 AM »
http://www.filmspotting.net/boards/index.php?topic=2051.0

I have now started a Virgin Spring thread.

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2007, 07:57:48 AM »
I watched Wild Strawberries a few weeks ago, apologies for not posting my thoughts prior to this moment.

Going in, I had high expectations based on the reputation of Bergman and the love Woody Allen, one of my favourite filmmakers, has for him.  So perhaps it was unfair burden to be placed on this movie, but I was slightly underwhelmed.  Though, since catching up with Virgin Spring and Winter Light, I am seeing why he was such a revered auteur.

That said, I did like Wild Strawberries a lot.  The life-in-a-day account was interesting to me, the journey Isak takes which gives him a renewed sense of his own humanity which seemed lost for so many years and the realisation of how he gained from his parents, and in turn unwittingly passed on his own son, his emotional unwillingness due to his immersion in his work.

The dream sequences were a good look into the once youthful exuberance of Isak with the love of his life Sara to how he has become so cold in his later years.

Certainly a highly enjoyable movie, and a great start to the marathon.