love

Author Topic: Filmspotting Fitness  (Read 77188 times)

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
Filmspotting Fitness
« on: May 02, 2007, 06:45:12 PM »

Some board members have expressed interest in getting fit for summer so I thought I would provide a little incentive. This is how the Fitness Challenge works:

You PM me your weight and waist measurements on May 7, 2007. The actual weight and inches will be kept secret, but the percentage of weight lost and inches lost will be public. I am the only person who will see your actual weight and inches.

You weigh-in and measure once a week (every Monday) and send me the results. I'll post the progress of each person in percentages and inches lost.

At the end of six weeks who ever loses the biggest percentage of their body weight or the most inches wins a prize.

It starts May 7 and ends June 11, just in time for swimsuit season! The only requirements are that you always weigh in on the same scale so we have a consistent measure and you try to measure your waist in the same spot each time (measure around the narrowest part of the waist and with a similar level of tension in the measuring tape.) We will be working on the honor system. Also, I'm not encouraging starvation for the next six weeks, but I am hoping this will help motivate and support those people that are interested in improving their diet.

The real motivation of the contest is to promote a healthy lifestyle, which will be a reward in itself, but the winner will also get a prize. The winner will get $40 towards a restaurant gift certificate (so you can celebrate your hard work) or $40 towards the DVD of your choice.

You can come here for support and healthy lifestyle discussions or just talk about what you did or didn't eat today. If enough people are interested, we'll go forward. So who is ready for a fitness challenge?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 08:57:10 PM by winrit »
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

alexarch

• Godfather
Re: Filmspotting Fitness Challenge
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 09:40:27 PM »
I've already put myself on record.

mweston

• My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 10:17:50 AM »
I don't plan to enter. If it had started at the beginning of the year it would have been worth it, but I'm too close to my target now to be worth entering.

Things that have helped me:
  • A regular workout -- in my case, at 6am (ouch!) at a local community college -- I've also added an extra 20-30 minute run (more like a jog) after class once or twice a week
  • Writing down what I eat -- I'm too lazy to actually calculate calories, but sometimes the realization that I will have to log a snack makes me realize I don't really need it -- I do give myself a break from this on occasion
  • Limiting alcohol, measured in drinks/week -- besides the direct calories, alcohol lowers your willpower -- not that I've picked a particularly low limit, because I still like my red wine most evenings
  • Weighing myself most mornings, writing it down on Fridays and Mondays, and reporting the number to others weekly

I've meant to measure inches too, but haven't gotten into that habit. My scale does show a body fat pecentage and I do write that down when I write down my weight.

I absolutely do not have this all figured out. I still eat when I'm not hungry sometimes, and I could lose several more pounds. But I feel a lot better than I did at the start of the year.
- Mike "One's a Party, One's a Crowd" Weston

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 07:03:34 PM »
I've noticed I'm getting a bit chubby, feeling rolls of fat as I sit down. Hmm.  :( However, I think I'd be more interested in looking like Daniel Craign than getting thin per se.

winrit

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 02:11:08 PM »
I've noticed I'm getting a bit chubby, feeling rolls of fat as I sit down. Hmm.  :( However, I think I'd be more interested in looking like Daniel Craig than getting thin per se.

That's why I included inches as part of the challenge. Inch measurements are a good way to go when your going to be putting on muscle (which may make you gain weight.)

Well I don't mind buying Alex dinner, but no one is willing to challenge Alex?

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 02:21:03 PM »
I'm thinking about it... I just hate weighing myself... it makes me really really really depressed.
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
Is Daniel Craig-ness guaranteed?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

winrit

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 02:34:42 PM »
I'm thinking about it... I just hate weighing myself... it makes me really really really depressed.

Well you will only have to do it once a week and we love you no matter what the scale has to say!  :)

Is Daniel Craig-ness guaranteed?

That might be a lot to ask for in six weeks... maybe this might be a more reasonable goal?

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 03:09:48 PM »
Nortonified? That'll do me. I'd like to see workout  diagrams, please, Winrit.

winrit

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 11:24:22 PM »
Nortonified? That'll do me. I'd like to see workout  diagrams, please, Winrit.

Well it goes something like this: