love

Author Topic: Filmspotter Marathon - Bergman - The Virgin Spring (spoilers!!!)  (Read 6554 times)

konky2000

• pretentiously unpretentious
    • Aranworld
Re: Filmspotter Marathon - Bergman - The Virgin Spring (spoilers!!!)
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 10:20:35 AM »
Certainly we'll need something along the lines of AFI's 100 YEARS...100 LAUGHS for our next marathon, right?  :)

You are so right.  I was really looking forward to seeing this film, but I found it very disturbing. Quiet, too quiet...

Was the free-flowing spring at the end God's answer to the father's deed; was it forgiveness?

I saw the spring as a reaction to the girl's death.  As if it was a sign of her enduring purity and not necessarily a reaction to anything the father did.

If it is any consolation, Fanny & Alexander is a generally uplifting film so there is something to look forward to.
Do you need me to make you a mix tape? - James Ford

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 10:04:13 PM »
I totally forgot about this. I have the vhs, hopefully I'll get to it tomorrow.

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 01:01:48 AM »
Definately remarkable (finally got to it).

A few things:

I too loved the birch tree scene. The scene with the murderers at the gate was also beautiful, I thought. I also really loved the way that nature was used visually, between the spring, the birds, the smoke and the sun.

Am I the only one that was astonished by the relative speed of the story? The plot was, well not fast, but I would say very condensed, by standards of the period and especially by those of today.

I also just wanted to see what everyone else thought of the silence. As Ang Lee and Knonky have pointed out, it is extremely important in the violent scenes, but it plays a pivotal role overall. More than anything, it seems to represent God in relation to humanity. There is constant silence coming from God (or at least from the icons representing him) that is met with prayer, cries and song from humanity. How the characters react to this interplay of silence molds their relationships with God. Also, it may display a certain opinion about God and his choice of expression, as God appears to foresake his icons and direct pleas and would rather answer through the beauty and splendor of his creations, like the sun, birds and springs. This would also give potential explaination for how the "virgin spring" may, in fact, be a kind of answer to Tore, though somewhat circuitous.

Just to conclude, it was a saddening, beautiful, masterful film, ranking amoung the best film can offer. Though, as far as Bergman is concerned, it does not quite match what I've experienced as his best work. I don't feel it is on par with Wild Strawberries or Fanny and Alexander. I wouldn't even say it's as good as The Seventh Seal, but to say any of this is not to say anything actually bad about this piece of genius.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 08:15:18 AM »
At the beginning of the film it says that it's based on a 13th century ballad.  Knowing that helps explain the slight plot.  The contrast between nature and humanity is compelling.  The lesson of the film is probably the same one we're all still learning: People ruin everything.
Texan Down Under

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 10:28:48 AM »
Hey guys. I have been on vacation all week, and haven't spent much time online. I'm gonna post my thoughts on Virgin Spring soon. Please don't think that I don't care about this!!!! I posted a Winter Light thread.
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 07:23:55 PM »
Really, we're on to Winter Light already?

Damn, I have to move next weekend, hope no one thinks I don't care.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 12:03:28 PM »

I also just wanted to see what everyone else thought of the silence. As Ang Lee and Knonky have pointed out, it is extremely important in the violent scenes, but it plays a pivotal role overall. More than anything, it seems to represent God in relation to humanity. There is constant silence coming from God (or at least from the icons representing him) that is met with prayer, cries and song from humanity. How the characters react to this interplay of silence molds their relationships with God. Also, it may display a certain opinion about God and his choice of expression, as God appears to foresake his icons and direct pleas and would rather answer through the beauty and splendor of his creations, like the sun, birds and springs. This would also give potential explaination for how the "virgin spring" may, in fact, be a kind of answer to Tore, though somewhat circuitous.

It gives the film some sort of a peace while horrible events are taking place.
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2007, 12:10:07 PM »
Did anyone have that feeling you get when you see a group of people doing horrible things, and then while they are getting what they deserve you feel for them? I guess it just part of humanity. I felt sick when Töre picks up the young boy, but I know what he did to his daughter.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 12:20:50 PM »
Did anyone have that feeling you get when you see a group of people doing horrible things, and then while they are getting what they deserve you feel for them? I guess it just part of humanity. I felt sick when Töre picks up the young boy, but I know what he did to his daughter.

Did the young boy take part in the rape or was he a bystander?  I thought the young boy had some remorse for what the brothers did, but he was their victim too.  Maybe not...

When the toss against the shelf killed him instantly, I caught my breath.

What I keep coming back to in my mind is that the parents' piety served for nothing real in their lives.  When their belief should have served them most, they took matters into their own hands and got their vengeance.

Or am I going down the wrong road? 
Texan Down Under

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 10:29:41 AM »
yes he was a bystander.

love