Author Topic: 70's political thriller marathon  (Read 1556 times)

grantland

70's political thriller marathon
« on: May 15, 2007, 02:41:37 PM »
this will probably go way down on the list, but i always liked the idea of a 70's political thriller marathon.  some potential picks:

all the president's men
marathon man
3 days of the condor
parallax view
the anderson tapes
day of the jackal
the conversation
klute
blow out ('81, but close enough)

two foreign movies that fit the bill, but probably belong in another marathon:
the conformist
Z

-g

Andr4s

Re: 70's political thriller marathon
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 03:01:09 PM »
Or maybe just a political films marathon in general. IN fact, in AP government and politics the AP test is over so we're watching movies and they have to have something to do with politics. So far we've watched The Machurian Candidate (the teacher's pick). The class made a list too and based on how many checkmarks each movie got we're watching DICK. It's such a dumb movie but that's what the class picked. At least next we're watching Paths of Glory (also the teacher's pick).

clownation

• Wild West (1920) M.C.Escher
Re: 70's political thriller marathon
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 11:51:18 AM »
all the president's men
marathon man
3 days of the condor
parallax view
the anderson tapes
day of the jackal
the conversation
klute
blow out ('81, but close enough)

two foreign movies that fit the bill, but probably belong in another marathon:
the conformist
Z

I would add Winter Kills (1979) to your list and, although more comedy/drama than thriller, I would add The Candidate (1972).

It seems to me that, over the years, Dirty Harry (1971) has come to be viewed as a sort of icon of right-wing political philosophy.  I think I could make a case for including it on your list, but there are already enough good ones there.
The heads. You're looking at the heads. Sometimes he goes too far. He's the first one to admit it.