Author Topic: Family Connections in Little Children  (Read 1938 times)

grendel

Family Connections in Little Children
« on: May 22, 2007, 12:32:48 PM »
Standing in line for a quick slice of pizza during lunch today, I thought about the suprisingly subtle character connections in Little Children. I put the movie on late last night hoping for an stress diversion aide to fall asleep. Two hours later, still wide awake, I was chatting with the wife on the unexpected, yet natural, ending. But, the ending has already been well addressed. My post is of a question.

All of the character are struggling with choices for or against social conformity except for the actual children. Lucy Pierce and Aaron Adamson do not struggle. They are extensions of their parent's personalities. Lucy perfers to be alone and not bothered as does her mother in relation to the wives at the park. She, like her mother, rejects the safe comforts of life i.e. vehemently against sitting in a car seat.  Aaron wears the jester hat all day as an indication of his father's illusion of still being young and free of social responsibility. That is, until his mother arrives and re-establishes the real world on both of them. And both children are used as a mechanism for the parent to achieve their own enlightment.

So what of Ronnie, our sexual deviant. Since Ronnie is May McGorvey's child, what personal struggle is May fighting? Life & Death? Good & Evil? The movie, in my first viewing, focuses more on Ronnie than May. However, there are many clues into her background. The figures. The clocks. Yet, I cannot seem to make a similar parent-sibling connection.

andyg

• My Site
Re: Family Connections in Little Children
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 12:51:01 AM »
You put forward an interesting point and I have read your thread a couple of times but alas I have no answer for you :(

Its a brilliant film however :)

love