love

Author Topic: The last album you bought, pirated, streamed online....  (Read 278233 times)

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
The last album you bought, pirated, streamed online....
« on: June 06, 2007, 12:28:23 PM »
Sort of like the last movie you watched thread...but with music.

Flowering Spade - Sean Hayes

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
Re: The last album you bought, pirated, streamed online....
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 12:37:39 PM »
I went on a crazy iTunes binge this week (birthday gift cert.) and got:

Minutes to Midnight - Linkin Park
It Won't be Soon Before Long - Maroon 5
Back in Black - Amy Winehouse
Release the Stars - Rufus Wainwright
Everybody - The Sea and Cake
Broken Boy Soldiers - The Raconteurs
Futuresex / Lovesounds - Justin Timberlake

and don't laugh at me for the Timberlake/Maroon 5 albums... I like them both a lot. :)

spoko

• Elite Member
  • Hero of the Great Taco Syndicate
    • Bullet in the Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 01:12:29 PM »

I'm going to assume you got Amy Winehouse's Back to Black, and not AC/DC's classic album of the other name. Either way, actually, good choice.

My last few have been:

Phantom Planet, The Guest. Just got it imported into iTunes this morning; haven't heard any of it yet.
The Detroit Cobras, Mink Rat or Rabbit and Life, Love and Leaving. This is the first band that I've gotten into entirely because of it being played on Filmspotting. I got Tied & True right after hearing them on the show, and really liked it, so then I got these. My assistant is pretty impressed, btw—up till now he didn't know anyone (but himself) who had ever heard them. Always good when you can impress the 18-24 demographic.
DeVotchKa, How It Ends. Denver band that I had heard compared to Beirut. They pale in comparison, unfortunately.
Peter Bjorn & John, Writer's Block. Kept getting recommendations from all sides on this one, so finally got it. I've only really listened to a couple of songs, but I like what I've heard so far.
Iron & Wine/Calexico, In the Reins. I've been on a real Iron & Wine kick lately, and Calexico's another band I keep hearing recos for. I've hesitated on this one for a long time, though, because I don't normally like get-together albums. But AMG's recommendation was so positive, I had to try. I've only heard it once or twice, but I think I'm going to really like this one.

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 01:58:20 PM »
The White Stripes' self-titled debut album.

Yesterday, Bjork's Medulla and a few days ago, the new QOSTA album. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

VmSoze

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 02:26:37 PM »

I'm going to assume you got Amy Winehouse's Back to Black, and not AC/DC's classic album of the other name. Either way, actually, good choice.

My last few have been:

Phantom Planet, The Guest. Just got it imported into iTunes this morning; haven't heard any of it yet.

yeah, sorry, I make that mistake often... but I did get Back to Black (although I love AC/DC too)

...The Guest is their best stuff as far as I'm concerned better than Negatives for sure, but I like the second album (self-titled) too.

Rene A. Moncivais

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 02:29:05 PM »
So what do you think of that Sea and Cake?

I picked up the new Shellac entitled Excellent Italian Greyhound and Pelican's City of Echoes.  Both are good, the SHellac has a weird appearance by the guy that voices most trailers for movies.  Also I bought the SHellac on Vinyl and it came with the CD as well, pretty cool.
"What about Oliver Stone?"

"Ummm, send him meat."

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 03:10:58 PM »
Iron & Wine/Calexico, In the Reins. I've been on a real Iron & Wine kick lately, and Calexico's another band I keep hearing recos for. I've hesitated on this one for a long time, though, because I don't normally like get-together albums. But AMG's recommendation was so positive, I had to try. I've only heard it once or twice, but I think I'm going to really like this one.

I really like that one.  Dead Man's Will, In the Reins, History of Lovers, and 16, Maybe Less are all superb.  16, Maybe Less is the most superb....  :)

Rene A. Moncivais

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 03:35:31 PM »
Karl if you like that album Calexico has not put a bad album out.  DO you have any of Calexico's stuff.  They are an awesome band.
"What about Oliver Stone?"

"Ummm, send him meat."

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 04:35:07 PM »
Karl if you like that album Calexico has not put a bad album out.  DO you have any of Calexico's stuff.  They are an awesome band.

no I don't.  I'll have to check em out.

VmSoze

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 06:50:13 PM »
So what do you think of that Sea and Cake?

I picked up the new Shellac entitled Excellent Italian Greyhound and Pelican's City of Echoes.  Both are good, the SHellac has a weird appearance by the guy that voices most trailers for movies.  Also I bought the SHellac on Vinyl and it came with the CD as well, pretty cool.

I've only listened to a few of the songs so far, but I've liked it.  I really want to listen to the whole album through a few times, but I haven't had a chance yet.

love