Author Topic: The last album you bought, pirated, streamed online....  (Read 278229 times)

spoko

• Elite Member
  • Hero of the Great Taco Syndicate
    • Bullet in the Brain
Re: The last album you bought, pirated, streamed online....
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 08:54:20 AM »
Phantom Planet, The Guest. Just got it imported into iTunes this morning; haven't heard any of it yet.

...The Guest is their best stuff as far as I'm concerned better than Negatives for sure, but I like the second album (self-titled) too.

It's the first I've heard of them. I like it, but I'm not sure it's the kind of music that will really find its way into my heavy rotation. I really like "Turn Smile Shift Repeat," though, so that one at least might.

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 10:49:17 AM »
It's the first I've heard of them. I like it, but I'm not sure it's the kind of music that will really find its way into my heavy rotation. I really like "Turn Smile Shift Repeat," though, so that one at least might.

I admit to being a huge fan of "California" - from WAY before The OC - and I really like "Anthem" although now I can't remember if that's on The Guest or Phantom Planet... honestly, I just really like the band, liked them better with Schwartzman, but I still bought all their subsequent albums.  In fact, along with The Mooney Suzuki, Guster, and O.A.R, they are one of the bands whose albums I will likely always purchase (unless they really start to suck).

*Oh, and I bought the Chris Cornell album, Carry On, yesterday.  I really like his rendition of "Billie Jean" and I love (like really LOVE) his voice, ever since Soundgarden.

Rene A. Moncivais

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 11:48:37 AM »
Karl if you like that album Calexico has not put a bad album out.  DO you have any of Calexico's stuff.  They are an awesome band.

no I don't.  I'll have to check em out.

I think their best album is Feast of Wire.  But all of their stuff is really good.
"What about Oliver Stone?"

"Ummm, send him meat."

spoko

• Elite Member
    • Bullet in the Brain
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 12:55:46 PM »

I admit to being a huge fan of "California" - from WAY before The OC - and I really like "Anthem" although now I can't remember if that's on The Guest or Phantom Planet...

"California" and "Anthem" are both on The Guest. I like them both. I've never seen The OC, and until you said that I had forgotten that these guys had anything to do with it. (This is what comes of not having had television for four years.)

Quote from: VmSoze again
*Oh, and I bought the Chris Cornell album, Carry On, yesterday.  I really like his rendition of "Billie Jean" and I love (like really LOVE) his voice, ever since Soundgarden.

I haven't been wild about his solo stuff, but you are absolutely right about his voice. I can think of no other singer that I'm as impressed with.

VmSoze

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 04:02:01 PM »
You're right about Chris Cornell's solo stuff, it's not great compared to Audioslave or Soundgarden, but it's still pretty good.  I'm not in love with this album, but I'm definitely enjoying it. :)

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 04:03:20 PM »
I too went on an itunes binge

... I finally bought the entire Fratellis album 'costello music' not just a bunch of singles (have to love the complete my album button)
   I bought Gran Bel Fisher 'full moon cigarette' I love most of the album especially the song crash and burn (musical guest on studio 60 last week)
   Marc Broussard- I bought a single track off his most recent album 'Just like that'
   I completed the keane album 'under the iron sea'

oh and not long ago i got
  rodrigo y gabriela (if you haven't heard them you should immediately rectify that)
and the new maroon 5
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

VmSoze

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 04:58:46 PM »
yeah, I too got the new Maroon 5.  What are you thinking about it?

spoko

• Elite Member
    • Bullet in the Brain
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 09:11:16 PM »
... I finally bought the entire Fratellis album 'costello music' not just a abunch of singles (have to love the complete my album button)

I got that a while back also. It's probably flash-in-the-pan music, but it's fun for now. "Henrietta" is the one I find myself singing most often. "It's hard to miss ya when ya follow us a-bou-ou-ou-out..."

VmSoze

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 09:19:27 PM »
ok, I need your help, people!  I am allowing myself to buy one more album from iTunes and I'm soliciting your suggestions.  PLEASE, no classical or depressing music (not that I have a problem with classical and/or depressing music, I'm just not in the mood for it now).

Thanks all!

spoko

• Elite Member
    • Bullet in the Brain
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 09:45:12 PM »
ok, I need your help, people!  I am allowing myself to buy one more album from iTunes and I'm soliciting your suggestions.

Either Kings of Leon (Because of the Times) or, for something a little different, Jerry Lee Lewis' album from last year (Last Man Standing). That old boy's still got a few cans of whoopass left, I have to say. I'm normally not a fan of these duet albums (hated Ray Charles' and Willie Nelson's), but this one's pretty good. All but the Kid Rock song, at least.

love