Author Topic: The last album you bought, pirated, streamed online....  (Read 278770 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: The last album you bought, pirated, streamed online....
« Reply #3210 on: January 29, 2015, 01:53:21 AM »
I listened to Lard back in the day.  Good stuff, not sure I'd like it now.  Not sure I'll like DK now either, but I guess I'll find out!

Prefab Sprout is a big favorite of mine.

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #3211 on: February 01, 2015, 06:29:46 PM »
Just listening to Corey Wilkes - Touch nice smooth tune, with a little rougher bits. Do you like Ramsey Lewis?

You know, I started listening to jazz sometime after Ramsey Lewis' heyday and never bothered to go back and explore for some reason. Maybe I assumed he was too poppy? I don't know, but he's just never really been on my radar. I'd be open to recommendations....
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #3212 on: February 01, 2015, 06:33:16 PM »
I listened to Lard back in the day.  Good stuff, not sure I'd like it now.  Not sure I'll like DK now either, but I guess I'll find out!

My favorite thing about Dead Kennedys is that it seemed, by the last two records, that Jello Biafra had decided to stop writing "songs" and just felt that any four sentences containing a certain amount of syllables that pertained to the subject of the song were good enough to be called a verse.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #3213 on: February 02, 2015, 06:07:47 AM »
Just listening to Corey Wilkes - Touch nice smooth tune, with a little rougher bits. Do you like Ramsey Lewis?

You know, I started listening to jazz sometime after Ramsey Lewis' heyday and never bothered to go back and explore for some reason. Maybe I assumed he was too poppy? I don't know, but he's just never really been on my radar. I'd be open to recommendations....

I do not know his stuff very well (hardly at all), but the Corey Wilkes music reminded me of the Ramsey Lewis Trio doing Summertime. My knowledge of him comes from a 1989 live (not sure when it was recorded) album called Ramsey Lewis Trio Live. I would recommend the album, however a check of both Spotify and YouTube did not provide me with a link to that album. Summertime is a great track.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #3214 on: February 04, 2015, 02:50:07 PM »
Been listening to some of this stuff (it's such a liberating feeling to not have hours of backlogged podcasts)...

Daft Punk - Human After All ... meh, a few good bits but mostly pretty dull and/or annoying

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories ... way better

Various Artists - ASOBITUNE ... I mostly got this because of Capsule, but I pretty much like everything on here. Can't imagine ever choosing to listen to the album, but it'll be good for shuffle play

Mark Kozelek & Desertshore - Mark Kozelek & Desertshore ... more great Kozelek. love his lyrics.

Jimmy Pardo - Sprezzatura ... rather disappointing.  Jimmy doesn't do "jokes" but still there wasn't a whole lot of funny here.  Pompous Clown is much better IMHO

Peter Gabriel - And I'll Scratch Yours ... why did I bother with this?  I don't like covers compilations

Nathan Brannon - I Black Out ... pretty terrific album from a local comedian I've seen a couple of times.  The album isn't edited very well, but the material is solid.

Prefab Sprout - Crimson/Red ... listening to this right now, loving it.  I never thought I'd hear the word "asshole" on a Prefab Sprout album.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:53:23 PM by MartinTeller »

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #3215 on: February 04, 2015, 03:09:55 PM »
Bjork's new album is great. Best thing she's done since Vespertine.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #3216 on: February 04, 2015, 03:11:37 PM »
I'd be open to recommendations....

Ever heard any of Clifford Brown's work? I've always felt that had he lived past the age of 25, he would have given Miles Davis a real run for his money.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #3217 on: February 04, 2015, 08:44:39 PM »
I'd be open to recommendations....

Ever heard any of Clifford Brown's work? I've always felt that had he lived past the age of 25, he would have given Miles Davis a real run for his money.

I have a handful of Clifford Brown-Max Roach Quintet discs and that album he made with Sarah Vaughan. Classic stuff.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3218 on: February 05, 2015, 09:20:37 PM »
Bjork's new album is great. Best thing she's done since Vespertine.

Even better than her work on that Death Grips half album from last year? Hard to believe, but I'll give it a shot.

In other news, Joey Bada$$'s debut album is really CINECAST!ing good.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #3219 on: February 21, 2015, 08:31:21 PM »
Peter Gregson - Lights in the Sky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLMUgrwLUwQ

love