love

Author Topic: The last album you bought, pirated, streamed online....  (Read 278697 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: The last album you bought, pirated, streamed online....
« Reply #1090 on: April 28, 2009, 09:55:10 PM »
That makes very little sense. I don't think The Beatles were anywhere near Dylan and they weren't trying to be. There is almost no overlap between the two (except that both were popular and influential).
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #1091 on: April 28, 2009, 10:05:25 PM »
I'm just saying, take away "Helter Skelter" from The Beatles, which was only a good song because they were poking fun at The Who or The Clash or something I think, and they are just another generic band who put out Dylan songs a few years after Dylan did. I'm not going to question their influence on music, but I would question how warranted that influence is.

You know Dylan is the second most overrated human being to have ever lived right?

Of course I gotta know who #1 is.

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #1092 on: April 28, 2009, 10:09:08 PM »
I'm just saying, take away "Helter Skelter" from The Beatles, which was only a good song because they were poking fun at The Who or The Clash or something I think, and they are just another generic band who put out Dylan songs a few years after Dylan did. I'm not going to question their influence on music, but I would question how warranted that influence is.

You know Dylan is the second most overrated human being to have ever lived right?

Gandhi.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #1093 on: April 28, 2009, 10:13:19 PM »

Gandhi.

HAHHAHAHAHAHH.

I almost, as a joke, threw his name out there as a guess.

Awesome.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1094 on: April 28, 2009, 10:13:47 PM »

Is the first Dylan Sprouse or Cole Sprouse?

That makes very little sense. I don't think The Beatles were anywhere near Dylan and they weren't trying to be. There is almost no overlap between the two (except that both were popular and influential).

I would disagree. Aside from the two both transitioning from more traditional musical forms, general harmonious pop rock for The Beatles and pseudo-folk for Dylan, to the new electric rock and roll scene around the same time, The Beatles never reinvented their music until Dylan had done so already, and usually they would just follow Dylan's lead. With Rubber Soul and Revolver the band washed back and forth between the electric style and the folk sounds that Dylan was not only perfecting with his big three, but was had already mixed together on a single record a year earlier with his release of Another Side. Then we go to what, from what I gather, is considered to be The Beatles crowning achievement, the Sgt. Pepper's record, where their lyrics take full front as they finally blend their pop rock sound with the electric sounds that had recently gained popularity. However, by this time Dylan had moved on to the minimalist record John Wesley Harding, one of his most poetic works and one where the electric sound was put on hold for the traditional folk sound. The Beatles returned to a more traditional sound years later with The White Album and Abbey Road, but by that time Dylan had already reinvented his sound once again, building on the folk traditions and mixing them with the country sounds. I think there is a good deal of overlap, much of it happened around the same time, but Dylan clearly worked with the sounds that The Beatles popularized earlier in his career and they kept playing catch up.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #1095 on: April 28, 2009, 10:20:30 PM »
Well, when you put it that way... you still sound kind of crazy. I don't know if what you're saying invalidates the goodness of The Beatles, which is all I really care about.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1096 on: April 28, 2009, 10:27:11 PM »
Well, when you put it that way... you still sound kind of crazy. I don't know if what you're saying invalidates the goodness of The Beatles, which is all I really care about.

Nothing is going to invalidate the goodness of The Beatles, you like them and you're going to continue to like them, I would not try to argue against someone liking music because, as I have stated elsewhere, it's one of the most subjective things one can assess. All I do is question how warranted all the love and respect for band is, which I think is debatable just by comparing them to Dylan, not factoring in other bands from that time. The same case, I suppose, can be made against Dylan by using Woody Guthrie, but I think lyrically Dylan reaches heights that Woody never does, conversely The Beatles rarely come close to the lyrical depth that Dylan presents. If I want instrumental sound I go to Rush, if I want pop rock I have The Beach Boys, and if I want lyrics I have Dylan and the Mountain Goats. It puzzles me that The Beatles be classified as pioneers and still retain such high status today when they really didn't do anything all that special.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #1097 on: April 28, 2009, 10:29:55 PM »
I like Dylan, but he's a horrible singer.  Paul (and John for the most part) have him beat there by miles.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1098 on: April 28, 2009, 10:32:37 PM »
I like Dylan, but he's a horrible singer.  Paul (and John for the most part) have him beat there by miles.

I have likely made it very clear in other threads that when I listen to music I rarely care what it sounds like, if I want to hear a nice sound without thinking or anything I'll put on Miley or Demi. What I want out of music is wordplay and well crafted lyrics, regardless of how they are delivered.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #1099 on: April 28, 2009, 10:33:41 PM »
If I cared about influentiality I would continue this argument. But I don't. So I won't. Enjoy your stupid Beach Boys while I play "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on my Xbox.

love