love

Author Topic: The last album you bought, pirated, streamed online....  (Read 278751 times)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
Re: The last album you bought, pirated, streamed online....
« Reply #1100 on: April 28, 2009, 10:37:06 PM »
If I cared about influentiality I would continue this argument. But I don't. So I won't. Enjoy your stupid Beach Boys while I play "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on my Xbox.

You can't call him crazy and call the Beach Boys stupid at the same time.

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #1101 on: April 28, 2009, 10:40:25 PM »
Well, when you put it that way... you still sound kind of crazy. I don't know if what you're saying invalidates the goodness of The Beatles, which is all I really care about.

Nothing is going to invalidate the goodness of The Beatles, you like them and you're going to continue to like them, I would not try to argue against someone liking music because, as I have stated elsewhere, it's one of the most subjective things one can assess. All I do is question how warranted all the love and respect for band is, which I think is debatable just by comparing them to Dylan, not factoring in other bands from that time. The same case, I suppose, can be made against Dylan by using Woody Guthrie, but I think lyrically Dylan reaches heights that Woody never does, conversely The Beatles rarely come close to the lyrical depth that Dylan presents. If I want instrumental sound I go to Rush, if I want pop rock I have The Beach Boys, and if I want lyrics I have Dylan and the Mountain Goats. It puzzles me that The Beatles be classified as pioneers and still retain such high status today when they really didn't do anything all that special.

What you just said made no sense at all.  

Do you even listen to songs like "Revolution", "She's Leaving Home", "Blackbird", "Julia", "Let It Be", "In My Life"?  The list goes on and on.  

In terms of craftmanship in pop music, the Beatles were genius.  I don't think they got enough credit as musicians.  The riffs in "Ticket To Ride" and "Taxman" are still insatiable and were like nothing that was heard of in pop music at the time.  Even a song like "And Your Bird Can Sing" has a performance that I think is quite seminal in terms of production and craftmanship.

Lacking lyrical depth comparing to Dylan?

Come on.

You listen to CINECAST!ing Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers and you think the Beatles lack any lyrical depth in comparison to Zimmerman?  

Metallica and Van Halen sucks?  

Man, you better not come across some metalheads.  They will kill you.  
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #1102 on: April 28, 2009, 10:40:43 PM »
I like Dylan, but he's a horrible singer. 

I don't know about that. It isn't a conventionally "good" voice, but at times his voice has a wonderful tone. For me it's all about the performance.

As for FLY's anti-Beatles diatribe, that's best ignored.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 10:46:32 PM by matt the movie watcher »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1103 on: April 28, 2009, 10:46:49 PM »
I firmly believe, to fully develop as an individual, one must acknowledge and embrace both 'high' and 'low' culture. I listen to Miley because it sounds good, I approach Dylan in a completely different manner. As far as pop music goes I would listen to the case that The Beatles are better than Jonas Brothers or Miley or Demi or what not, I would likely disagree, but I would listen to that argument. When approaching The Beatles the way I approach Dylan the disparity in songwriting is very great.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #1104 on: April 28, 2009, 10:51:09 PM »
Your specific embracing of low culture I find very suspect.  there is a wonderful world of trash beyond mousenet - and most of it is actually interesting or fun or whatever in a way that the total blandness of that institution is not.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1105 on: April 28, 2009, 10:54:59 PM »
Your specific embracing of low culture I find very suspect.  there is a wonderful world of trash beyond mousenet - and most of it is actually interesting or fun or whatever in a way that the total blandness of that institution is not.

I like to embrace the blandness too, you point me in another direction and I'll give it a look or listen.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1106 on: April 28, 2009, 10:59:25 PM »

I like to embrace the blandness too, you point me in another direction and I'll give it a look or listen.

if you are true about the need to embrace it, it should involve self seeking

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1107 on: April 28, 2009, 11:15:03 PM »

Good thinking, I shall make this another one of my summer projects.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1108 on: April 28, 2009, 11:20:56 PM »

Good thinking, I shall make this another one of my summer projects.

;D

also, back on track

yummy NYC blogger driven indie pop!

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1109 on: April 28, 2009, 11:22:57 PM »
I wanted to pick that up, let me know how it is. This weekend I plan on getting this Bike for Three! CD.