love

Author Topic: The last album you bought, pirated, streamed online....  (Read 278632 times)

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
Re: The last album you bought, pirated, streamed online....
« Reply #1180 on: May 19, 2009, 12:12:27 AM »

Slowly but surely, Ben Gibbard is becoming my favorite human being. I'm discovering him years after everyone else, but better late than never.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #1181 on: May 19, 2009, 06:53:58 AM »

Slowly but surely, Ben Gibbard is becoming my favorite human being. I'm discovering him years after everyone else, but better late than never.

Have you heard his Postal Service stuff yet? I love Death Cab but I love Postal Service so much more.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #1182 on: May 19, 2009, 10:05:32 AM »

Have you heard his Postal Service stuff yet? I love Death Cab but I love Postal Service so much more.

The Postal Service is one of my favorite bands of all time, I'm just slowly getting into his other stuff. Death Cab is amazing, but I definitely agree that TPS is better.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #1183 on: May 19, 2009, 10:26:10 AM »

The Postal Service is one of my favorite bands of all time, I'm just slowly getting into his other stuff. Death Cab is amazing, but I definitely agree that TPS is better.

If you haven't listened to the first 2 or 3 Death Cab albums, you should.  I think I like them more than the 2 most recent albums.  Also, there's an EP where they cover Bjork's "All Is Full Of Love" that's really, really great.

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #1184 on: May 19, 2009, 04:12:56 PM »

This album is phenomenal!
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1185 on: May 21, 2009, 09:53:23 AM »
DefJux released a free sample EP for Cage's new album, the EP takes its title from the first single.

Much like the actual album cover, great artwork.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #1186 on: May 21, 2009, 10:25:48 AM »
Antonin Dvorak, Symphony No. 9. 'New World' Serenade

I swear this is where John Williams must have found inspiration for the Jaws theme.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1187 on: May 21, 2009, 06:34:19 PM »
There's a possibility I just bought this on vinyl...

Now I find it hard to believe that one of two things are correct since I was able to purchase this at their official website. The first thing I would call into question is the availability of this on the vinyl since it is supposed to be a one time limited collector's edition thing. If I do get a copy then I would also call into question the claim that only 4,000 exist at all and that is all that will ever exist. Now these guys, from what I gather, are fairly popular. I mean at least 4,000 people listen to them, I'd assume. Considering it only costs $6.99, came to about $11 with shipping and tax, I do not see why however many were planned to be made available on the website were not immediately sold out. I mean I don't even have a record player to listen to it on, but if there are no plans for a vinyl re-release and it's only $11 and only 4,000 are being printed then it seems pretty limited. You think that would be a selling point for most collectors and fans. Hell, I can barely be considered a casual fan and I picked it up, maybe. I'll believe that my order will happen when the thing arrives here and is labeled with a number between 1 and 4,000. I don't know. jbissell, you're the music expert, this seems odd to you too, correct?

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #1188 on: May 21, 2009, 08:34:24 PM »
There's a possibility I just bought this on vinyl...

Now I find it hard to believe that one of two things are correct since I was able to purchase this at their official website. The first thing I would call into question is the availability of this on the vinyl since it is supposed to be a one time limited collector's edition thing. If I do get a copy then I would also call into question the claim that only 4,000 exist at all and that is all that will ever exist. Now these guys, from what I gather, are fairly popular. I mean at least 4,000 people listen to them, I'd assume. Considering it only costs $6.99, came to about $11 with shipping and tax, I do not see why however many were planned to be made available on the website were not immediately sold out. I mean I don't even have a record player to listen to it on, but if there are no plans for a vinyl re-release and it's only $11 and only 4,000 are being printed then it seems pretty limited. You think that would be a selling point for most collectors and fans. Hell, I can barely be considered a casual fan and I picked it up, maybe. I'll believe that my order will happen when the thing arrives here and is labeled with a number between 1 and 4,000. I don't know. jbissell, you're the music expert, this seems odd to you too, correct?

I don't know about this specific case, but limited vinyl runs usually are very popular.  Hell, I'm sure a lot of people that buy them aren't even necessarily fans of the particular band, they just see that magic phrase and think they can make a huge profit off selling it on ebay.  I know last year Jay Reatard released a bunch of new singles that were limited to 500 (?) and those sold out in a matter of minutes.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1189 on: May 21, 2009, 08:36:49 PM »
That's what puzzled me. I just thought it would be cool to have because, well, there are so few and it's CINECAST!ing orange! I don't know why they let me order it though because you would have thought they would have just cut orders after they hit a certain number of preorders. I need to find a store that sells vinyls around me though just in case.

love