Author Topic: The last album you bought, pirated, streamed online....  (Read 278808 times)

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
Re: The last album you bought, pirated, streamed online....
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2007, 03:33:55 PM »
Well, let's see for the past few days w/ my iTunes card.  Some EPs/singles by Jena Malone, Eisley, & Yeah Yeah Yeahs.  A track by David Bowie and just last night, A collection of B-Sides by the Pixies. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

spoko

• Elite Member
  • Hero of the Great Taco Syndicate
    • Bullet in the Brain
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2007, 12:20:18 PM »
Rocky VotolatoThe Brag & Cuss. Good stuff, kind of in the Sean Hayes/Iron & Wine/Ray LaMontagne vein. Not quite as stripped down, maybe (not just him and a guitar, in other words), but in the same ballpark. If you just can't get enough of that kind of music, it's worth checking out. I've only listened to it a couple of times, and I like it. I'm hoping it'll grow on me even more.

SpoonA Series of Sneaks and Girls Can Tell. I really dug Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, so I went back into their catalogue a bit. Neither of these has grabbed me like GGGGG, though. They're both good, but not as hooky. That borderline-pop sound benefitted them on the last CD, I thought. So while I like these, I'm still gonna keep reaching for Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga until I get sick of it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who think it was their sellout album, but I've never much bought into that nonsense. Oh, and as an aside, these guys must really like Billy Joel. That's cool. I don't like him, but still, they make it cool. The songs that sound like him are some of their best.

Iron & WineWoman King. I can't get enough; I'm going to the EPs. Love "Freedom Hangs like Heaven".

Jerry Lee LewisAll Killer No Filler (The Anthology). Earlier this year, for some reason, I gave his most recent album a chance—Last Man Standing, one of those albums where an old-school performer does duets with a bunch of young (and not so young) whippersnappers. It turned out to be a really good disc, and eventually I had to have more. So I went straight for the biggie. I have not been at all disappointed. This is yet another example of my aversion to the mainstream serving me poorly: I should have been listening to Jerry Lee Lewis for years already. There's so much great music on here, and even the ones I'm not wild about are pretty damn good. I'm not sure I'd say there's "no filler," but out of 42 songs I can't find more than a handful that are. At the very least, this man kicked ass throughout the 50s, 60, and 70s.

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2007, 03:14:09 PM »
Rocky VotolatoThe Brag & Cuss. Good stuff, kind of in the Sean Hayes/Iron & Wine/Ray LaMontagne vein. Not quite as stripped down, maybe (not just him and a guitar, in other words), but in the same ballpark. If you just can't get enough of that kind of music, it's worth checking out. I've only listened to it a couple of times, and I like it. I'm hoping it'll grow on me even more.

I do like Rocky Votolato, Makers is his best album.  The Brag & Cuss is a lot fuller sound.  If your looking for the stripped down check out Makers, Burning My Travels Clean, and Suicide Medicine.  The Light and Sound - EP is also pretty good.

spoko

• Elite Member
    • Bullet in the Brain
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2007, 03:34:23 PM »
I do like Rocky Votolato, Makers is his best album.  The Brag & Cuss is a lot fuller sound.  If your looking for the stripped down check out Makers, Burning My Travels Clean, and Suicide Medicine.  The Light and Sound - EP is also pretty good.

I had heard that his earlier stuff was leaner. Honestly, I don't mind the fuller sound (one more reason I'm really looking forward to Shepherd's Dog). But I know it's what people associate with Iron & Wine and Sean Hayes (those who associate anything at all with Sean Hayes, that is). I'll definitely check out Makers.

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2007, 04:30:56 PM »

I had heard that his earlier stuff was leaner. Honestly, I don't mind the fuller sound (one more reason I'm really looking forward to Shepherd's Dog). But I know it's what people associate with Iron & Wine and Sean Hayes (those who associate anything at all with Sean Hayes, that is). I'll definitely check out Makers.

Makers is not that much different actually from his earlier work.  maybe just a little.

The Shepherd's Dog is a big departure from Each Coming Night and his other stuff.  I downloaded it the other day and I'm not really digging it too much.  If you use the program soulseek you can find the album on there.

spoko

• Elite Member
    • Bullet in the Brain
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2007, 06:36:29 AM »
The Shepherd's Dog is a big departure from Each Coming Night and his other stuff.  I downloaded it the other day and I'm not really digging it too much.  If you use the program soulseek you can find the album on there.

Cool. I figured it was out and about, but I've developed a bit of an aversion to advance copies of CDs. Plus the waiting is part of the thing for me, so I'll probably hang out until Sept. 26.

spoko

• Elite Member
    • Bullet in the Brain
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2007, 07:01:23 AM »
Some more . . .

Elliott SmithNew Moon. I'm not a huge devotee, but I've gradually gotten pretty into him. I was impressed at how good this album is. I always assume that posthumous releases are really just for superfans who have to have absolutely every scrap of recorded evidence that the artist existed on this earthly plane. But this disc actually has quite a bit of good music, most of it previously unknown to me. It doesn't play like a pasted-together mishmash of all the leftover music they could find, but rather like a regular album—and a pretty lengthy one at that.

CalexicoGarden Ruin. Not as good as The Black Light, for sure. A little more processed, or something. But it does have a few moments (I really like "Roka"), and I'll certainly give it a few more listens.

Art BrutIt's a Bit Complicated. Why did I even bother? I could have told you from a mile off that I wouldn't like this, and I'd have been right. I guess I just keep kissing frogs.

What Made Milwaukee FamousTrying to Never Catch Up. Interesting disc. I could see being a really big fan of this band—they play a pretty diverse range of music, but there's a real coherence to their sound. As Waylon Jennings would say, their songs are of a piece. But they are certainly not monotonous. I'll be listening to this one quite a bit, I suspect, and getting some more from them.

Suzanne VegaBeauty & Crime. There was a time, 10–15 years ago, when I was pretty into her. That time has passed. If I were still into her, I'm sure I'd dig this. It's her sound, but still pretty fresh, and she's no slouch. Really, she's just not my thing any more. A bit too smooth around the edges, musically. And for as talented as she is, she doesn't seem to really reach very far.

Rene A. Moncivais

« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2007, 12:32:22 PM »
Some more . . .

Elliott SmithNew Moon. I'm not a huge devotee, but I've gradually gotten pretty into him. I was impressed at how good this album is. I always assume that posthumous releases are really just for superfans who have to have absolutely every scrap of recorded evidence that the artist existed on this earthly plane. But this disc actually has quite a bit of good music, most of it previously unknown to me. It doesn't play like a pasted-together mishmash of all the leftover music they could find, but rather like a regular album—and a pretty lengthy one at that.

CalexicoGarden Ruin. Not as good as The Black Light, for sure. A little more processed, or something. But it does have a few moments (I really like "Roka"), and I'll certainly give it a few more listens.

Art BrutIt's a Bit Complicated. Why did I even bother? I could have told you from a mile off that I wouldn't like this, and I'd have been right. I guess I just keep kissing frogs.

What Made Milwaukee FamousTrying to Never Catch Up. Interesting disc. I could see being a really big fan of this band—they play a pretty diverse range of music, but there's a real coherence to their sound. As Waylon Jennings would say, their songs are of a piece. But they are certainly not monotonous. I'll be listening to this one quite a bit, I suspect, and getting some more from them.

Suzanne VegaBeauty & Crime. There was a time, 10–15 years ago, when I was pretty into her. That time has passed. If I were still into her, I'm sure I'd dig this. It's her sound, but still pretty fresh, and she's no slouch. Really, she's just not my thing any more. A bit too smooth around the edges, musically. And for as talented as she is, she doesn't seem to really reach very far.

Calexico's best album to me is Feast of Wire.  You get the best of The Black Light with a mix of Hot Rail thrown in.  They were on Austin City Limits on Sunday.  They are one of my favorite bands.  You should check out their DVD too.  They have a full mariachi band with them.  It's amazing.
"What about Oliver Stone?"

"Ummm, send him meat."

spoko

• Elite Member
    • Bullet in the Brain
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2007, 12:51:44 PM »
Calexico's best album to me is Feast of Wire.  You get the best of The Black Light with a mix of Hot Rail thrown in.  They were on Austin City Limits on Sunday.  They are one of my favorite bands.  You should check out their DVD too.  They have a full mariachi band with them.  It's amazing.

I'll check out Feast of Wire; I wouldn't mind some more stuff that's similar to The Black Light. I probably wouldn't mind the DVD either, but these days I just don't have time for that kind of stuff. I have a stack of 10 or 15 (movie) DVDs at the house that I haven't seen yet. Not going to make time for a concert video any time soon. I wish I had that kind of time.

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2007, 12:33:12 AM »
i bought paul van dyk's in between

sometimes I like a nice background of house music while working :)
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.