Author Topic: The last album you bought, pirated, streamed online....  (Read 278801 times)

alexarch

• Godfather
Re: The last album you bought, pirated, streamed online....
« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2007, 04:56:02 PM »
We Died, They Remixed - Architecture in Helsinki - A remix album of their In Case We Die.  I'm in danger of getting sick of this album because I've already listened to it so much.  I love the upbeat tracks, especially the neo-disco/neo-funk remix of "It's 5!"  The more meditative mixes aren't my favorites; there's a few that I skip.  On the whole, I lurve, lurve, lurve it.  I want to have its babies.

Aaron

« Reply #141 on: October 11, 2007, 01:08:55 PM »
PJ Harvey
White Chalk

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 11, 2007, 04:46:50 PM »
The Darjeeling Limited Soundtrack

I think it's amazing.  I love a lot of the instrumentals from all of those Satjayit Ray and Merchant-Ivory films.  Adding the Kinks, the Stones, and Peter Sarstedt gave it a wonderful flow. 

Might be my favorite film soundtrack of the year for now. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2007, 01:06:01 PM »
Balkan Beat Box - Nu Med - this music is crazy, infectious and a crazy patchwork quilt of beats and sounds HEAVILY influenced by Arab and Israeli sounds...if you dig that middle eastern groove check this out.
Hey, nice marmot!

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2007, 04:12:41 PM »
A lot of Slowdive.  I've been downloading their first 3 albums and some bonus cuts through Soulseek. 

I'm currently downloading Third/Sister Lovers album by Big Star and some Myspace demos by Jena Malone. 

Later tonight, I'll download the new Radiohead. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

spoko

• Elite Member
  • Hero of the Great Taco Syndicate
    • Bullet in the Brain
« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2007, 11:49:12 AM »
Josh Ritter—The Animal Years and Joe Purdy—Julie Blue. I'm lumping these together because, well, this entire genre is starting to really lump together for me. I've been listening to both these albums for the last couple of weeks (you may notice both artists in my top 5 for last week, e.g.), and yet neither of them has distinguished itself in my head. And I don't just mean distinguished themselves from each other, but from the genre as a whole. I have one or two songs on each that I like, but none that I really like, much less any that I love. And the albums as a whole aren't doing anything for me. Here's the thing, though: They're both good albums. Well constructed, well performed. But they're both guy-with-a-guitar albums, and I guess I'm just suffering from overkill in that genre. (Of course, as I write this, I'm listening to—and digging—the Sean Hayes album I just downloaded from eMusic. So whatever.)

Iron and Wine—The Shepherd's Dog. Come on, what can I say about this one? As everyone has noted, it's a real departure for Mr. Beam, and as most intelligent observers have noted, it kicks ass. Chock full of 3- and 4-star songs, though I must admit that none has yet reached 5-star status for me. That said, the album as a whole is spectacular. Can't wait to see them live.

Iron and Wine—The Sea & The Rhythm. Catching up on the back-catalogue. This is the last one I didn't have. It's very good, especially the title track. Not sure I've ever heard a more heartfelt paean to sex. That sounds ironic or crass or something, but it isn't meant to. It's a remarkable song.

Beirut—The Flying Club Cup. They've tamed their sound quite a bit, and they seem to be spending more time in western Europe (France, specifically), but for me the magic is still there. That may simply be because Zach Condon's voice will always keep me coming back, I don't know. But I don't think so; I think the music is still great. I do prefer the earlier stuff, but I expect this one to really grow on me.

Bettye Lavette—The Scene of the Crime. A soul/R&B singer from back in the day, who never got her due. This will make a hell of a comeback, if it takes. She's a great singer, the choice of the Drive-by Truckers for a back-up band was an inspired one, and the material is also well chosen. Even the autobiographical "Before the Money Came (The Battle of Bettye Lavette)" was surprisingly good. I liked this one right away.

Mark Ronson—Version. If you like Amy Winehouse or Lily Allen, you ought to at least give this one a shot. He's the genius at work behind the scenes on both of their recent albums. And each does an excellent cover for him here as well. Winehouse's "Valerie," in particular, is really good. I won't be playing the whole album much, because I'm not really into this kind of music. (Is it hip-hop? house? beat music? I have no idea.) But that's not to say it's not good.

Brother Ali—The Undisputed Truth. Holy shit am I impressed with this album. The last hip-hop album this good was Lyrics Born's Later That Day..., which was like 4 years ago. I've only actually heard this album twice now (because I always seem to be around someone who won't let me listen to rap), but I really like it. Both the writing and the execution are stunningly good, and he seems like an interesting person to boot.

Sean Hayes—Big Black Hole and the Little Baby Star. I literally just finished listening to this for the first time, but I quite like it. I don't know if it's as good as Flowering Spade, but then that album took me several listens before I thought it was very good (and now I'd definitely say it's one of the year's best). Certainly this is an exception to my earlier complaints about modern-day folk. Can someone please explain to me why this guy hasn't gotten more buzz? Or maybe he has, and I'm just not hearing it? Anyway, he's playing Denver next month and tickets are only $10. Think I'll be there.

Albums about which I haven't yet formed much of an impression:
· Neutral Milk Hotel—In the Aeroplane over the Sea. Eclectic. Good, but I'm not sure how much it's my thing.
· The Stereogum.com compilation Drive XV. In case you're not aware, it's a 15-year-anniversary collection of different artists covering the tracks from R.E.M.'s Automatic for the People. I really like Rogue Wave's version of "The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite," which is technically a bonus track (the official cover is by Oxford Collapse), but the other stuff I've heard hasn't left much of an impression. The whole thing is available for free download, by the way, and it seems they keep adding more covers ("bonus tracks"). They've added three or four since I downloaded it last week.
· Lily Allen—Alright, Still. To be honest, I haven't really listened to it yet. Will do.

ElectricOtter

• Elite Member
  • I masticate in public.
    • Myspace
« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2007, 01:18:05 PM »
I just put my orders through for All of A Sudden I Miss Everyone by Explosions and Hello, Avalanche by Octopus Project. I'm uber-excited to get thems.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun, count every beautiful thing we can see...

www.myspace.com/fightingpickletog
www.boothfilmcritics.org
http://dmbmovieboi.dvdaf.com/owned

spoko

• Elite Member
  • Hero of the Great Taco Syndicate
    • Bullet in the Brain
« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2007, 01:51:25 PM »
Brother Ali—The Undisputed Truth. Holy shit am I impressed with this album.
Holy CINECAST!, we can say 'shit' on here now?

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2007, 01:54:38 PM »
I just put my orders through for All of A Sudden I Miss Everyone by Explosions and Hello, Avalanche by Octopus Project. I'm uber-excited to get thems.

That Explosions album is really good. All of their stuff is good reading music because there is no singing but the music is still good.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2007, 02:07:24 PM »
Brother Ali—The Undisputed Truth. Holy shit am I impressed with this album.
Holy CINECAST!, we can say 'shit' on here now?
You can say whatever you want. CINECAST! is the only thing CINECAST!-ed out. And that's for old time's sake. If you get a little too too, I'll ask you to censor yourself. Remember that as grown-up as we pretend to neon these boards - however much we pat ourselves on the backs that we are intellectualy superior and therefore oughtn't be worried about such things as propriety and bourgoise social conventions - there will always people that read these boards whose sensibilities are less enlightened and more delicate. For those people, we ought to do some self-censoring.

love