love

Author Topic: Movies you've walked out on  (Read 14773 times)

Jeff Schroeck

Re: Movies you've walked out on
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2016, 07:30:14 PM »
(but then, I would subtitle everything given the chance....its how I watch movies and tv shows at home  :) )
Subtitles are nice to have - especially with kiddos around and/or sleeping. :)

The Hulu Criterion channel was such a godsend during my daughter's first two weeks for that reason. She wouldn't sleep in the bassinet, so we put her in bed between us, taking two hour shifts to stay awake and make sure she was okay. It was great for deliriously catching up on some non-English classics.

My wife says one of the things she most remembers from those weeks is "waking up to sad, hot Italians" the few nights I watched the Antonioni trilogy.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2016, 11:17:23 AM »

The Hulu Criterion channel was such a godsend during my daughter's first two weeks for that reason. She wouldn't sleep in the bassinet, so we put her in bed between us, taking two hour shifts to stay awake and make sure she was okay. It was great for deliriously catching up on some non-English classics.

My wife says one of the things she most remembers from those weeks is "waking up to sad, hot Italians" the few nights I watched the Antonioni trilogy.
;D :D

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2016, 11:35:24 AM »
I have left films mid-way for non-film reasons, but I think the only film I watched in a theatre that I actually left because of the film was The Foxy Merkins, which played at Fargo's LGBT film festival. They used a cop (mock) shooting a black maid as a plot device/punchline. I was like, all the nopes.

Now, obviously I've shut off DVDs of scores of movies because it wasn't working.

dassix

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2016, 04:36:32 PM »
San Andreas.  I went in expecting a ridiculous spectacle of CGI, and to just sit back and be entertained without having to follow an actual plot.   

I was prepared for a ridiculous 'Swiss Cheese' plot line, but not for make-believe action sequences.

wendywgw0522

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2016, 12:16:08 PM »
Me Before You
Went to see the movie because of the high rating. Very disappointed. It's cheesy and the plot is cliche.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2016, 12:50:53 PM »
Me Before You
because of the high rating.

Where is it rated highly, I'm curious? I personally loathed the film, and if you really did walk out on it, believe me, you did the right thing. The ending would have made you like it even less.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2016, 11:49:36 AM »
I can't recall a film I actually walked out on but I certainly have fallen asleep to just about every LOTR and hobbit film.  I got a hard punch in the arm for that last Star War film to wake me up as well.  That may have had something to do with quite a bit of wine and watching it in a Gold Class cinema which means you are basically in lounge chairs with a blanket.  It is almost impossible not to want to sleep
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2016, 01:18:33 PM »
I can't recall a film I actually walked out on but I certainly have fallen asleep to just about every LOTR and hobbit film.  I got a hard punch in the arm for that last Star War film to wake me up as well.  That may have had something to do with quite a bit of wine and watching it in a Gold Class cinema which means you are basically in lounge chairs with a blanket.  It is almost impossible not to want to sleep

I know!  It makes me want to protest in front of theaters, demanding that they not be so comfortable!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jascook

• Cue the sun
    • Jas Watches Movies:  The Blog
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2017, 09:46:49 PM »
Batman vs. Superman. I got through about an hour, during which I hated pretty much everything I saw. Normally I like Jesse Eisenberg, but as Lex Luthor he just needs to for God's sake stop talking!!

That's the only one I can think of right now, but there are probably a couple of others.
Sara: Good-bye, father Isak. Can't you see you're the one I love? Today, tomorrow and forever.
Isak Borg: I'll keep that in mind.

MichaelDorsey

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2017, 10:16:11 PM »
Dracula: Dead and Loving It is one of the saddest experiences I've ever had at the movies.  Completely love Mel Brooks early to mid-period work.  He was losing it by SB and RHMIT, but I was still ready and couldn't wait to see his take on the vampire craze...  Oh was I wrong.  Not a single laugh out of 4 dudes in their 20's/30's who were excited to see this.  Maybe 30-40 minutes in.  The only full price movie I've ever left.

For Love of the Game and Daylight.  When the popcorn was gone I realized that was all that was tying me to the theater.  Both second-run theater walkouts, but still felt great to leave.  Like having a snow day.   

love