love

Author Topic: Once  (Read 16347 times)

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
Re: Once
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2008, 12:32:05 AM »
The lesson: If your film isn't shot on 35 or with a million dollar HD camera, even if your story is about 'ruffians' and the form and content match perfectly, don't waste RT's time.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2008, 12:38:48 AM »
place holder for a BURN! from Adam!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2008, 12:47:28 AM »
That is hilarious.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

m_rturnage

• FAB
  • Elite Member
  • Beauty hurts.
    • Too Much Time on My Hands
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2008, 12:59:21 PM »
The lesson: If your film isn't shot on 35 or with a million dollar HD camera, even if your story is about 'ruffians' and the form and content match perfectly, don't waste RT's time.

I enjoy videos of 7th grade 'Guys and Dolls' productions as much as anyone. :D

Adam is on to something, though. Because if Green Street Hooligans, a film about 'ruffians' were filmed on a handheld camcorder, it might be improved vastly. I never really thought of the people in 'Blair Witch Project' as 'ruffians' but now that Adam mentions it... there was a little rough-hewn underclass aspect to the film school students.

But, all kidding aside Adam is completely right, I do enjoy me some craftsmanship.

And this film does indeed have its undeniable charms. So much charm that I will state, for the record, 'Once' > 'Kill Bill'.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 01:30:06 PM by m_rturnage »
http://www.26screenplays.com - Short screenplays for independent filmmakers.

You light a man a fire, and he's warm for a night. You light a man ON fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

indieabby88

• Two Awesome Movie Nerds
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2008, 11:13:38 PM »
So...Yeah. I was more blown away by the music than the movie. Not gonna lie. It was a good movie, but nothing that blew me out of the water. However, I will add that Hansard and Irglova are damn good live. One of the best shows I've seen in a while.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2008, 11:26:34 AM »
I resisted seeing it for a long time but I finally gave in and I loved it.

I've been going through the other comments here all you haters are some cold-hearted mofos. But to each his (or her) own I guess.

The cult of 'Once' stole my firstborn so I now have to say that I love the movie more than anything.

'The Godfather', 'Star Wars', 'Casablanca', and 'Citizen Kane' should bow before the mighty power of the greatest film of all time ever, 'Once.'

Why aren't more films (outside of YouTube, that is) lighted like 'Once' was? It is a travesty! We need more shadows, people! More handheld camera, and not in a Bourne movie way, either! More of that muddy brown red that only can come from underexposed film! That is what makes movies great! Out-of-focus, underdeveloped film. Why they haven't released this in a hi-def Blu-Ray version is beyond me. We need 1080p of 'Once' goodness, not that miserable 480p crap you're shoveling at us! This film can only work when it is as cinematic and larger than life as possible - we should all buy new 72-inch high definition plasma screens for nothing less deserves to be graced with the images of 'Once'!

Every film I see, I openly compare it to 'Once' and point out its obvious flaws next to the most perfect movie of all time ever.

For example, all the way through 'Sex and the City,' I kept saying to myself, "Why don't all of the ladies drag a vacuum cleaners behind themselves through the streets of New York? How can they be quirky and interesting without vacuum cleaners? This movie would be so much better if it were just like 'Once'!"

All the way through 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' I kept asking myself, "Why can't Shia and Cate Blanchett  just put aside their differences and play piano together? Then maybe the studio technician will be impressed and turn a knob - causing us to relive THE GREATEST CINEMATIC MOMENT IN THE HISTORY OF CINEMA EVER."

All the way through 'Iron Man,' I kept praying for Robert Downy, Jr. to lose all of his money and sing for change on the streets of Ireland. This whole money and cars and explosions thing is worthless next to the father's approval of a demo tape.

I have seen the light. Nothing can touch the power and majesty that is 'Once' - which should be renamed THE BESTEST MOST PERFECTEST FILM IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND, NO OTHER CULTURAL ACHIEVEMENT IN WESTERN CIVILIZATION CAN MATCH THE POWER OF THIS FILM. But that title is way to long, so we should just stick with the most perfect title in the history of perfect titles - 'Once.'

So, if you were referring to me as one of the cold-hearted haters, I am no longer in that camp.

Well said.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

grumm

« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2008, 10:47:03 AM »
So...Yeah. I was more blown away by the music than the movie. Not gonna lie. It was a good movie, but nothing that blew me out of the water. However, I will add that Hansard and Irglova are damn good live. One of the best shows I've seen in a while.

I saw them live last November, I think, and it was ridiculously amazing. And they played some Frames songs which made me very happy. Everyone should see them if given the chance.

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2008, 08:01:58 AM »
I agree with a lot said above. This was a very good movie because of the music. The story is so-so, it's sweet and heartwarming but the music is the main character. I enjoyed the story. Because of the music I felt for the two characters and wanted them to end up together. Many people have met someone that could be "the one" but at the wrong time. This is definitely worth checking out (in my opinion).
Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2008, 08:29:01 AM »
Yeah. I didn't care for the movie at all really. But the music is incredible. The scene at the beginning where he sings that powerful song on the street. Between the incredible song and the power of Hansard's voice and the camera slowly pulling in I was totally blown away. And then the song in the music store... WOW! So much power and emotion! The soundtrack was quickly placed somewhere in my Top 5 soundtracks of all time.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2008, 12:13:45 PM »

I saw them live last November, I think, and it was ridiculously amazing. And they played some Frames songs which made me very happy. Everyone should see them if given the chance.

I would second this notion...I saw them in April and they were great.
Hey, nice marmot!