Author Topic: Ocean's 13  (Read 4230 times)

Rene A. Moncivais

Ocean's 13
« on: June 15, 2007, 09:55:08 AM »
I am surprised there is no thread for this.  Saw this earlier this week and loved it.  I like all of the OCean's films.  Ocean's 12 is my favorite.  But this one was really great.  Anyone else enjoy this? 
"What about Oliver Stone?"

"Ummm, send him meat."

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
Re: Ocean's 13
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 02:40:02 PM »
I enjoyed it. It is nice summer fun, but not much more. My problem with it is there is really no tension. There is never really any fear that things won't work out. The roadblocks that are set up during the heist are light-weight. I mean if the FBI raid was part of the heist why wouldn't they make sure there were no fingerprints on the card machine?
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

Tenenbaums

• Ashvegas
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 03:19:51 PM »
I also like all of the "Ocean's" films, but no sequel will be able to reproduce the surprise and fun of "Ocean's 11."  That movie actually felt like a Soderbergh project, whereas the last two could have been done by most directors with some talent. 

Not to say that "Ocean's 13" isn't an entertaining film.  Besides "Knocked Up," it's the most fun film of the summer so far.  The gags and situations are better than "12" and the Mexico scenes with Scott Caan and especially Casey Affleck are some of the best in the series. 

Some moviegoers are saying that "Pirates 3" or "Spiderman 3" are entertaining popcorn films that snobby reviewers won't enjoy because they can't put criticism aside and simply have fun at the megaplex.  While those two movies are just plain bad, "Ocean's 13" steps up and accomplishes what they failed to do: entertain the audience for the duration of the film.  Sometimes that all people want, be they cinephiles or philistines.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 05:37:59 PM »
While those two movies are just plain bad, "Ocean's 13" steps up and accomplishes what they failed to do: entertain the audience for the duration of the film.  Sometimes that all people want, be they cinephiles or philistines.

I was entertained by all three of them (Pirates, Spiderman, and Ocean's), Ocean's and Pirates more thoroughly than Spiderman, but entertained nonetheless.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 06:10:44 PM »
Some moviegoers are saying that "Pirates 3" or "Spiderman 3" are entertaining popcorn films that snobby reviewers won't enjoy because they can't put criticism aside and simply have fun at the megaplex.  While those two movies are just plain bad, "Ocean's 13" steps up and accomplishes what they failed to do: entertain the audience for the duration of the film.  Sometimes that all people want, be they cinephiles or philistines
You do realize that "philistine" has negative connotations and can therefore be considered an insult, don't you?  That said, I totally want to start a band called "Cindy File and The Philistines"

Tenenbaums

• Ashvegas
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 09:47:44 PM »
Yes, "philistines" is a definite insult.  That's the context in which I used the word.  Good look.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 07:19:12 AM »
Yes, "philistines" is a definite insult.  That's the context in which I used the word.  Good look.
Great!  Thanks for the insult!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 08:09:26 AM by alexarch »

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 05:37:05 PM »
Saw this today and liked it. It starts off slow, tension and surprise are non-existent and worst of all, Ellen Barkin's part is a total waste. Nevertheless, I absolutely loved the visual style of this film and the chemistry of the cast. Like the first one, the dialoge was actually pretty cool, unlike the second one, with this one I never felt left out of the loop.
This film reminded me of Roger Ebert' review of A Few Good Men, where he complains about the film being one "[...] one of those movies that tells you what it's going to do, does it, and then tells you what it did." and while I was actually thrilled by the Cruise/Nicholson-duel at the end, I was kind of let down by the ending of Ocean's 13.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 08:30:50 PM »
I bet someone can clear this up for me:

Was Agent Caldwell (who is Linus's father) in on the heist? I don't remember him from the earlier films.  Is he really FBI or fake FBI?  I got lost in that part. 
Texan Down Under

Lynch

• Administrator
  • Been away a spell.
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 08:37:25 PM »
Saltine, Linus's father is also a crook and was just playing the part.  The back and forth between him and his father was all about who was more convincing at playing their roles, with Linus conviced that his fake nose was a winning costume idea.

I agree with the previous statements, there wasn't any suspense because you never really thought they would fail.  The whole movie is just a blow by blow sequence of them succeeding at everything they do.  Having said that, I really enjoyed it and thought it was much better then '12'.  But the franchise has now ceased to be about a plot and more about spending time with some cool lads that you enjoy hanging out with. Unless they did something shocking I can't see them ever topping the first one, it was just a different vibe.